PDA

View Full Version : Stalling

Tom Hallock
11-24-2004, 15:11
A few weeks ago I was online about problems with my 6.5 stalling a lot. Would run for a few days around town an then stall out. A couple of times even after leaving dealer. No codes were ever found. Received several good reply's. Then about two weeks ago went on mini-vacation to St. Louis and Hannible MO, probaby put around four hundred miles an back home to Jeffersson City an around town an nothing., no problems. Lift pmp checked an works fine. TRuck is in shop for body work after small accident. JUst wondering why it would stall before with smaller amount of mileage an then not at all with a bunch.Thanks

More Power
11-26-2004, 16:33
Sounds like a connection issue... The FSD transistor screws are a known contributor to stalling problems in a few instances. The power transistors make electrical connection through their cases, so if the screws become loose or lose torque, there could be a problem.

You might also check the electrical wiring and related connectors.

MP

Tractor
11-26-2004, 18:25
Tom Hollock
You might check your ignition switch on the stearing column. On our 1998 we had a similar problem. we thought injection pump again, lift pump. Got it checked out and the connections inside the key switch were not good at all. Put a new one in and she runs like a babe once again. They looked a little burned and black.
TRACTOR

Calvin 60
11-27-2004, 10:00
Originally posted by Tractor:
Tom Hollock
You might check your ignition switch on the stearing column. On our 1998 we had a similar problem. we thought injection pump again, lift pump. Got it checked out and the connections inside the key switch were not good at all. Put a new one in and she runs like a babe once again. They looked a little burned and black.
TRACTOR Tom what was the cost to replace your ignition switch and how much trouble is it to replace.

scotts
11-28-2004, 17:55
hey tom,
when your truck stalled, did the check engine light come right on and flicker?? I`m having a stalling issue where it will run rough for a bit before actually stalling and the engine light flickers then stays on once stalled?
Thanks,
scotts

Tractor
11-28-2004, 19:05
It acted just like you would shut it off, at a stop light etc. The dealer put it in, the cost was cheap when you compare it to other possible problems. It only did it a few times before we got time to take care of it. It would start right back up. No codes.
TRACTOR

TJ
11-29-2004, 21:44
Ignition switch problems can cause a number of things. Remember, a failing switch causes a drop in voltage. So, MANY things can start to fail. MY (sorry Tractor! smile.gif ) truck would just shut off and sometimes restart and sometimes not. There were no flickers of any kind and threw no codes at all. It was almost like a theft lock problem. It ONLY has 55,000 miles. The contacts inside of the ignition switch were fried. The switch is about $150 and pays 1.3 hours to complete. It's not too difficult of a job.

Tom Hallock
12-01-2004, 20:03
Hi al, when I get my truck back from the body shop next week, I'll be more aware of the stalling. Everytime it stalled before, the check enging light never appeared. It was like every other wek I'd take the truck back to the dealer and they wouldn't find anything wrong. I'd get in ther truck an the damn thing might even stall out at bay door. THe truck has a personality disorder an kind of thumps its tailpipe at the mechanics, I think.
Anyway, when it happens again I will have them check the ignition switch.
I am getting real tired of the added expense of this truck. I know its time to move on up, and if I could just save a little $$$$ I would. But, then I have to take the " thing " back into the shop and spend more money on it. BAH!!!!

Tom Hallock
12-01-2004, 20:05
Sorry about all my misspelled words, I'm tired. And sometimes my fingers are faster than my brain.
Tom

rjwest
12-03-2004, 02:56
Tom, I also have a 96 and went through the same problems,

I did not get it fixed until I replaced the
FSD with a remote mount and later the Inj Pump.
( 2 different components causing same stalling problems ).

During this " miserable " period I also had a new
FSD fail.

If you want I will arange a phone call to you.
and try to assist. My experience with my truck would take several days of typing.

You could try email: qwestav@attglobal.net

( may get through, problem with my email )