PDA

View Full Version : benefits of timing gears

92gmc
03-26-2004, 13:50
Other than longevity far beyond what the rest of the motor can offer, what are the benefits of the gear drives ?

What about using an offset key to advance a new chain, giving the same power benefits of the gear drive with it's built-in advance ?

Thanks for any comments

NH2112
03-26-2004, 14:19
Even more important than the longevity is the fact that your timing (both valve and injection) will NEVER change due to wear or stretch in the timing chain.

britannic
03-26-2004, 15:07
Camshaft is advanced about 2.5*, engine reponse is far crisper and timing is now precise without the inherrent slop of the chain.

Dezman125
03-26-2004, 19:30
Hi
Their is some indications that the osilating slack in the chain at certain rpm's can lead to the cracks found in the main webs. The slack causing viberations.
Good insurance to save your block.
Mabey? ;)

TurboDiverArt
03-27-2004, 14:06
I thought I read a link to an article saying that putting in a gear drive into an engine not designed originally to have a gear drive can cause a cracked crank. Anyone know if this is true?

I can't seem to find the link to the article but it was a web site I think.

Thanks,
Art.

CleviteKid
03-27-2004, 17:31
Timing Gears = broken crank. MISINFORMATION spread by steak sauce and his psuedonyms.

Too many of us have been running gears for too long to show ANY merit in this ridiculous claim. Ask Tough Guy how many miles are on his gear drive.

Dr. Lee :mad:

tom.mcinerney
03-27-2004, 17:37
Art-
More Power either wrote , or is in process of writing, an article on benefits/costs of timing gears. Should be able find some posts in search. Most members think they're a significant improvement in precision and reliability. There have been instances of the FIP gear/key/bolt?? getting screwed up with chain arrangement.

NH2112
03-27-2004, 19:33
Steak sauce!! LOL

TurboDiverArt
03-28-2004, 13:30
Well, not sure who Steak Sauce is but I'll believe you guys over someone I don't know. I'm actually glad to hear that. With 120K on my truck I'm sure the chain is at least a little stretched. If I

C.K. Piquup
04-22-2004, 18:27
At Peninsular Marine they don`t use gear drives.Matt claims they put vibration to the I/P and the chain allows some cushion between the bottom and top end.I`m not disagreeing,just showing another view.Gears don`t stretch,but they can wear ,can`t they?I`m sure a gear-drive would outlast a gear/chain drive.But,gear/chain-drives are,and have been the industry standard for...ever.The chain often outlasts alot of other components on these engines(heads,cranks,blocks),so...Peninsular also believes these engines should have been 18:1.I trust Matt`s(his only name)knowledge.

britannic
04-23-2004, 20:12
HD diesels have gears, my Cummins has gears and so does the new Dmax. Problem with the chain in the 6.2/6.5L application, is it's a gasser style version and would be just fine if it only drove the camshaft. However, it has to drive a high pressure pump and the shock loads are severe which means the chain quickly develops stretch and the timing starts to wander.

I couldn't time my engine accurately until I installed the gears. To each his own; if the chain is replaced before it becomes a problem, most of us won't notice any difference.

There are enough high mileage timing gear installations now that are proving they don't have any more problems than the OEM chain. Cam and ignition Timing stays sharp throughout service life and I love the whine (so does the Doc :D ! ).

C.K. Piquup
04-25-2004, 03:44
I believe timing gears makes alot of sense.Much stronger and precise.I`d like to pick Matt`s brain a little more on his perspective.I installed gear-drive in my`95 originally,for 5,000+/-miles,before replacing complete engine w/Peninsular unit.I`m considering switching gear-drive in.The fact that the Dmax(and HD diesels) uses gear-drive is what sent me after one for the 6.5.I must say,though,I noticed no difference in performance.Also,my`92 has run for over 200,000mi.w/original chain and power is good and pump(original)has never needed re-time.I`m sure there would be a difference noticed w/new timing-gears and/or gears&chain set,along with a re-time.