PDA

View Full Version : how can i tell for sure

limeyjoe
09-21-2004, 10:49
hi doc. how can i tell if i'm buying a diesel converter for sure. im going to buy a trans this weekend, im not sure if it's a 350 or a 400 yet. thanks for any info i can use regards john

CleviteKid
09-21-2004, 11:05
The best way is to buy it from a VERY TRUSTWORTHY source.

There are codes stamped on the turbine of some converters that can be related to stall speed, and for a diesel you want a fairly low stall speed.

Another way is to see if there are six attachment lugs for the bolts on your converter. It will almost positively be a diesel converter if it has six lugs, but many genuine GM diesel converters have just three lugs.

Good luck.

Dr. Lee :cool:

limeyjoe
09-21-2004, 12:08
thanks doc. the guy im having the trans off is not very trustworthy. he sold me a 6.2 engine and and trans that was surposed to be suitable for my 81 pickup, which! i brought with no engine and trans, and what i ended up with, was a 6.2 which is fine, and a 4l80e with no comuter, or sensor's ,not even a dipstick tube. now after many telephone calls he has offerd to change the trans for somthing more suitable

Stray Cat
09-27-2004, 09:58
If you go to a reputable trans shop, they will look up the exact GM converter for your application. I recently went through the same thing. Some reccomended 1200 stall, some 1400 stall, some 1600 stall. I found that the GM comverter for my application (6.2L to 700R4) was 1430 stall and bought the HD version of this for about $180. It works great!

CleviteKid
09-27-2004, 12:19
LimeyJoe:

Please accept my apologies on behalf of my Yankee friends who think the entire world lies between the Atlantic and Pacific oceans, and North of the Rio Grande. :rolleyes:

We have quite a few members such as yourself who are struggling to maintain and upgrade their GM diesel trucks in countries where Chevrolet is a rare and exotic breed !! Some of our advertisers have significant experience exporting their products, and I hope that more of them come to recognize that there is a sizeable market, partly due to Uncle Sam abandoning tax-payer property in your back yard.

Please give us a chance to try to help you as best we can. Maybe you can trade us some MG-TC parts for your coveted GM diesel components.

Dr. Lee :cool: