PDA

View Full Version : Exhaust Crossover

Blow Boater
09-21-2004, 21:35
Dr. Lee

I have a few questions for you. The first question is what is the purpose of the cross connect tube that people install in the dual exhaust systems? I am going install a 3" exhaust using your adapter design (thanks again) and I'm having this done, just wonder why?
Second which engines have the single plane intake that you used?
The third question is I plan on modifying the air cleaner similar to your design. I was considering adding inlet tubes to both sides of the air cleaner housing like the old Ford thunderbolts. Is this overkill for the modifications I have in mind? Will my engine with 140,000 miles respond well to these changes? The engine runs well, Starts right away (after finding a glow plug controller that works the way it is susposed to).

Thanks
Barry

CleviteKid
09-23-2004, 13:32
Hi Barry,

The crossover tube is useful because of the firing order of the engine - each bank has a couple of cylinders that fire in sequence, which would overload one side of the exhaust while the other is doing nothing. The crossover tube allows some of the excess exhaust to go through the lazy side.

Also, it mellow out the sound, as both sides are really sharing all the exhaust pulses. So the justification is better performance, but the payoff is cool mellow sounds.

I am not sure when the single plan exhaust became standard, but I believe it was with the new body style in 1988. Our members who actually know will correct me if I am wrong.

There is no such thing as overkill when it comes to getting air into, and exhaust out of our engines. For those of us who do not have (or do not want :D ) a turbo, low flow resistance is even more important. The only question I would have about two inlets to the air cleaner is that I am not sure there is a pre-punched hole in the radiator support on the driver side.

Good luck with your project, and plan on sharing some photos with us when you are done.

Dr. Lee :cool:

Blow Boater
09-24-2004, 09:18
Dr Lee.
Thanks for the info. Your right about the radiator support on the left side. It seemed like a good idea as I was planing it. then I poped the hood and saw the radiator offset. I'll have to look for somewhere else. I have a salvage yard special air cleaner that I have cut and I am in the process of teaching myself how to weld so I can add a section to it. I know it would be easier to pop rivet together but I always wanted to learn how to weld and this seemed like a good place to start.
Thanks
Barry