PDA

View Full Version : 1995 Chevrolet G30 Van (6.5L Diesel)

BillG30
09-24-2004, 13:30
Dr. Lee:

I am a new member, and I apologize if I do not know how to submit this question properly.

I recently purchased a 1995 Chevrolet G30 Van with a 6.5 liter diesel engine. The van had been owned by the Federal Government, and was used in Texas. It had less than 45,000 original miles on it and is in exceptional condition for a nine year old vehicle. I really like this van.

I am a vintage racer, and I am using the van as a tow vehicle for longer tows. I tow a 20 foot Pace American enclosed trailer, hauling a 1956 Triumph TR3 race car, and all of my race gear. I have had the rig on a local scale, and the van, all my gear, trailer and race car were just under 15,000 pounds. This weight surprised me, as I would have guessed around 10,000 pounds.

I live in Wisconsin and have made two recent trips with this rig. One to Grand Rapids, Michigan and one to Watkins Glen, New York. Both trips went great, however Watkins Glen is in the Finger Lakes region of upstate New York, and is located up in some tired old mountains. The van ran great, was a joy to drive, BUT DID struggle on the steep grades. If I could get a run at them it seemed to go well, but if there was traffic I would slip from 65 mph to 45 mph in short order.

My question is, are there any enhancements I can consider to help this van on these steep grades? People have told me the van will not accommodate anything like a turbo. Before buying this van, I had been towing with a 1996 Ford 3/4 Ton Pick Up with the Powerstroke Diesel. That vehicle has a bigger engine, and about 170,000 miles on it. It did not even breath hard on those steep grades.

As I said, I am a new member, and I am sure this is not a fresh question, but it is for me. I will appreciate any comments.

Bill Dentinger
Wisconsin

CleviteKid
09-24-2004, 16:54
I will invite our diesel van members to comment, but there certainly was a turbo option for the vans, but with a different configuration. As I understand it, the turbo goes at the back of the engine, between the cylinder banks, and requires specific exhaust, heads, and intake to accomodate it. Your first call should be to one of the advertisers, The Diesel Depot, to see what parts they can provide.

As I have often said, from the thermodynamic perspective EVERY DIESEL should be turbocharged, and from a practical perspective, any diesel hauling heavy loads or towing a reasonable load (and your qualifies) should be turbocharged.

Dr. Lee :cool:

Fumes
10-07-2004, 21:50
Hi:

I have a 85 GMC Van with a 6.2. I change the motor a few year back to one with a BanksTurbo. They are out there - but Banks never made very many of these though. What gears do you have?

I pull a 25' travel trailer with my van combined weight is around 12,000lbs. The wind is my worst enemy. I've done a few things, change the timing chain to gears, put a high capacity water pump on. Change to 4:10 gears. The van has around 500,000 miles on it but the tranny is the only original part of the drive train.

I believe they made 6.5 turbos in vans not sure what years though.

Fumes

BillG30
10-17-2004, 11:58
Originally posted by Fumes:
Hi:

I have a 85 GMC Van with a 6.2. I change the motor a few year back to one with a BanksTurbo. They are out there - but Banks never made very many of these though. What gears do you have?

I pull a 25' travel trailer with my van combined weight is around 12,000lbs. The wind is my worst enemy. I've done a few things, change the timing chain to gears, put a high capacity water pump on. Change to 4:10 gears. The van has around 500,000 miles on it but the tranny is the only original part of the drive train.

I believe they made 6.5 turbos in vans not sure what years though.

Fumes

BillG30
10-17-2004, 12:03
I apolgize. I was not aware how to reply. I appreciate your comments. I am surprised to hear you have 500k miles on the same transmission. I had been led to believe that was a wink link in the chain. I am unaware of what rear end I have. I'll have to check that out.

BillG30

BillG30
10-17-2004, 12:05
Originally posted by CleviteKid:
I will invite our diesel van members to comment, but there certainly was a turbo option for the vans, but with a different configuration. As I understand it, the turbo goes at the back of the engine, between the cylinder banks, and requires specific exhaust, heads, and intake to accomodate it. Your first call should be to one of the advertisers, The Diesel Depot, to see what parts they can provide.

As I have often said, from the thermodynamic perspective EVERY DIESEL should be turbocharged, and from a practical perspective, any diesel hauling heavy loads or towing a reasonable load (and your qualifies) should be turbocharged.

Dr. Lee :cool:

BillG30
10-17-2004, 12:07
Dr. Lee:

I apologize that I was unaware how to reply. I appreciate your comments, and I am exploring my options. I have contacted the Depot.

BillG30