PDA

View Full Version : 1995 6.5L Turbo Fuel Injection Pump ??

Phid
11-24-2004, 17:28
Just had diagnostic test done on my pickup. Posted in past about hard start. Mech doing test says it shows Pulse Width Long and says I probably have contaminated fuel. He said when the latest pump (25,000 miles ago) was installed the system probably was not flushed and I now have metal in the system. Said it was a common problem in past. Any thoughts from you folks thast understand what he is talking about. Wants $2400 to fix.

tanker
11-24-2004, 18:27
Well the last pump I had installed by GM, required that the fuel tank be dropped and cleaned, lines purged, fuel filter repalced, along with the injection pump. Yes my pluse width was also too wide. Maybe you could shop around on the price, I know mine was around $1800.00 including all of the above with labor. I agree that if metal is in the tank, it could get into the pump and do damage. smile.gif

TAG
11-24-2004, 18:29
My undestanding is original pumps had steel rollers which failed often spreading xtremely small particals throughout fuel system. Fuel solenoid is electromechanical - not a good combo. Probably has a lot to do with subsequent pump failures & i suspect fsd failures as well. how hard does fsd have to work to offset sticking fuel solenoid.

markelectric
11-24-2004, 19:27
I had a Ipump fail on a truck I used to own. Found a bunch of metal rolling around in the pump. My stealer refused to replace the pump unless the tank and lines were cleaned. That 2400 you mentioned sounds like the price I remember. I ended up buying a pump from a authorized rebuilder that had a 12 month or 120000 mi warranty. Only requirement was to make sure the fuel filter was changed when the pump was, and noted on the install bill. This was done in the mechanics home garage since the dealer said NO to installing parts I provided, the way I wanted them done. Apparently the one with checkbook in hand knows nothing.....
What is the filter for if not to stop this type of crud before reaching the pump. I would think it would be awfull hard to pickup metal off the bottom of a tank, run it thru a sock strainer and then thru a lift pump, let alone thru the filter. My guess is the pump you recently had installed was not compleatly rebuilt before it went in your truck.
That particular truck ran a bunch of miles on that pump before I outgrew it and sold it.

steve-r
11-24-2004, 23:47
I just had my 7th IP under extended IP warranty installed...still under the mileage & time. This time GM refused to warranty the pump unless I agreed to have the tank tested for metal, at my cost. I have a Racor 645 10 micron pre lift, and there was no metal gunk in the bottom, nor was there any in the bottom of the OEM filter bowl. still, 7 pump failures was too many...so i agreed...they confirmed metal in the tank. admitted it had likely been there from all the failed IP's before they went with ceramic rollers.i think my original , 2nd and 3rd were not ceramic versions. i argued that it couldn't get by the filters, but they claimed the filters are just paper, and some of it is smaller than 5 microns, so it goes thru. the metal collects around the fuel solenoid, makes it harder to function, and then either the pump packs it in(code 36 ), or the PMD starts overworking trying to drive a lazy solenoid, cooks itself, and throws a code 35.

they dropped the tank, had it chemically cleaned, replaced the LP, replaced both filters, and purged the fuel line & return line, and installed the new warranty pump, and installed the PMD/FSD on my FSD cooler....i've now re-located the FSD/cooler from intake to in front of my grill, where it runs a lot cooler.

the "metal in the tank" angle is GM's latest answer to multiple failed pumps. I argued that the metal would never have gotten in there in the first place if their supplier's poor pump design hadn't continually failed. they agreed with my point, but still would not budge on the 'exclusion from warranty'....so i caved, paid the $400 for the tank cleaning, and i'm still ahead since they now have over $20K in warranty work invested in my truck. we'll see how long it lasts this time.

gmctd
11-25-2004, 10:19
If the replacement glow plugs are 60G's, you will need more glow time to get the same heat as original 11G's.
Procedure to enable that is in Member's Area, iirc.

The OBD-I '95s enable the lift pump off the START connection for the starter motor during crank - might be a good idea to route that wire to one of the glow plug wires, so lift pump runs at glow time, pre-priming the Inj Pump before crank.

Does not effect normal lift pump operation.

'96-up OBD-II primes lift pump via the PCM.

tom.mcinerney
11-25-2004, 19:51
Phid-
Consider adding a second fuel filter, in case OEM fails.
Steve-
I'd be sure to use plenty lubricity additive to the fuel after all the pumps you've been through.

steve-r
11-25-2004, 22:59
i've been using Stanadyne Lubricity since #6 went in last year and it failed after 13000 kms. i switched to Stanadyne Performance when #7 was installed last month....also for the winter.... i am noticing a little more throttle responsiveness...but that could also be cuz the dealer set this pump to -1.50

i'e also tried to be real careful about where i get my fuel...only busy high volume stations.

i don't know what else to try - extra filters, fsd coolers, fsd extension harness, fuel additive-that stuff isn't cheap either!...so now that the fuel system & tank are cleaned i sure hope that's the answer.

eracers999
11-26-2004, 03:58
Steve;

Make shure you pull the new FSD down from your grill area and tighten the transistor screws on the under side, my bet is that they are loose and that will cause a early failure.

Kent