PDA

View Full Version : fuel tank

eazly
12-02-2003, 12:09
I have installed my rebuilt engine into my 1993 dually. The truck has been sitting for about 10 months. I was wondering about the old fuel that has been sitting in the tank? I'm pretty sure it has a few gallons in it. I spent a lot of money rebuilding the injection pump and injectors. In trying to protect my investment, what do recommend that I do? Should I flush it out? If so, how? Should I just fill the tank with fresh diesel and additive? If so, which kind? Thanks for you help.

CleviteKid
12-03-2003, 06:10
Your '93 has an electric lift pump, right? How about disconnecting the line before the fuel filter, and jumping a hot lead to the pump and pumping out a gallon or two to see how it looks?

If at all suspicious, then get the WRONG kind of fuel treatment, one with alcohol that will help water DISSOLVE in diesel fuel, put that in the tank with a couple gallons of fresh diesel, and pump it ALL out with your lift pump. Then fill up with fresh diesel and the CORRECT fuel treatment, that separates the water, put on a new fuel filter, and go for it.

Other opinions are also welcome to be posted here.

Dr. Lee :cool:

eazly
12-03-2003, 08:48
Sounds like an good idea. I will do just that. Do you think that I would benefit to drop the tank to replace the sending unit and strainer?

britannic
12-03-2003, 09:15
Originally posted by eazly:
Sounds like an good idea. I will do just that. Do you think that I would benefit to drop the tank to replace the sending unit and strainer? If you're up to doing it, it's definitely worth checking if you're unsure of the condition - prevention is better than cure :D .

eazly
12-03-2003, 09:26
Thanks again

SaintC
12-13-2003, 14:57
If you take the time to drop the tank(s), be sure to replace the fuel lines.

Personally, I prefer the original type of spring clamps, as opposed to the screw type clamps so prevalent today. They respond to temperature changes without cutting into the line....but you must use the correct size line, new spring clamps, and the static end must have a "bulb" to it.

I would either dispose of the old fuel if there are only a couple of gallons, or if you really want to use it up, clean it the way Doc described. If you clean it, then only put in 1 gallon per 10 gallons of fresh fuel. You can use it all up that way.