PDA

View Full Version : Glow plug starting problem!

pstrother
04-15-2004, 05:35
Hey Dr.
Got a problem with the glow plug system and it has me stumped, that is not hard to do. At start attempt, no glow plug light and no start. Engine is turning over great, glow plug sensor and relay are fine, relay is cycling and I have battery voltage at the relay on the battery side (all the time). I R&R'd the Sensor and relay just to be sure, due to this happening before and the sensor was bad. I read continuity on the glow plug side to the frame, and I really don't know if I should. I have not checked the glow plugs because the wiring diagram indicates that the light should work even if the plugs don't. I also notice a fusible link in the diagram, but I am not sure if this is blown, on both sides, that it will effect the light function. HELP! :confused:

CleviteKid
04-15-2004, 12:11
If the glow plugs are connected, they will offer about 1/10 of an ohm resistance to ground, so would certainly show "continuity" from the glowplug terminal of the relay to ground; that would be normal.

One thing you could try is to pull all the connectors off of the glow plugs, then check for continuity. You would only be going thru the bulb, then. Also, turn on the key to the run position with all the connectors off of the glow plugs - the glow plug light should light up if everything is OK.

It IS possible for the glowplug lightbulb on the dash to burn out - I just have never heard of it, but you should check.

If you short around the relay with jumper cables, something that can carry 150 amps, for 5 seconds, does the glow plug light come on, and can you start the truck? This would tell you if the wiring after the relay, and the glowplugs, are good.

Last bit of advice is to upgrade to the '85-'93 style of integrated controller and relay. The 2001 REPRINT BOOK (http://www.thedieselpage.com/back01.htm) has the instructions for this upgrade to the 1982-1984 trucks.

Dr. Lee :cool:

pstrother
04-15-2004, 12:49
I will check the glow plug this afternoon and try jumping the relay. Can you tell me where to find instructions for wiring in a manual switch for the glow plugs?
Thanks for the quisk reply, Perry

pstrother
04-15-2004, 12:54
How hard would it be to get a copy of just the need article on the glow plug system. This diesel is starting to eat my lunch will over and above costs.
Thanks,
Perry :eek:

CleviteKid
04-15-2004, 13:57
It is up to More Power if he wants to start selling single articles. By the time he priced segregating it out, printing it, mailing it to you, etc. you probably would be better off buying the book, and getting lots of other cool information as well.

Did you check the entire table of contents at 2001 REPRINT BOOK (http://www.thedieselpage.com/back01.htm) ?

pstrother
04-16-2004, 12:53
Ok.........does this article tell me how to bypass the glowplug sensor with a remote, manually operated glow plug switch? smile.gif

CleviteKid
04-16-2004, 21:41
No, but you can do that with your PRESENT relay. Use a voltmeter to find out which little wire is the hot lead from +12VDC, then tap into the OTHER wire and ground that on the dashboard with a switch.

If you change to the newer integrated controller and relay, you will still need a separate relay in parallel that you can control with your dashboard switch.

Most of the articles on www.TheDieselPage.com (http://www.TheDieselPage.com) are NOT cook-book recipes. They are a general indication as to how one of us went about solving a problem, or incorporating some modifications. It is up to each reader to decide if he can adapt the concepts to his own truck, and if he or she has the tools and competence to engineer their own version.