PDA

View Full Version : She's gona blow...

Sub Spe
11-04-2004, 11:11
All,

This is my first post and hoping to get your opinions. While my wife and her parents were driving out west to deliver some of our critters, stuff, and vehicles to our new home in New Mexico from northern Alabama, our faithful Sub Sandy started making

Peter J. Bierman
11-04-2004, 12:52
If you start spending $ do it right and have the avant people build you a short block.
I have only heard good about them and had some good corresponding with them.
I bought some parts there and it's a pleasure to do business with.

Just my opinion smile.gif

Peter

PS. If you are not in a hurry, have the pan dropped and the diagnosis confirmed before spending a lot on a new engine.

TSimpler
11-05-2004, 10:46
Welcome to New Mexico.

Trent

Sub Spe
11-05-2004, 11:05
TSimpler what part of NM are you in? We are just outside of Albuquerque.

The shop just got back with me and said that a Jasper short block would run between $6200 and $8200 installed depending on whether or not I wanted to go with a 6.2 or 6.5 engine. I am still waiting on Avant to give me some pricing info. I asked Jamie and Benny to price out a balanced short block like the one they build for Lee

Uncle Wally
11-05-2004, 18:23
This is my opinion here, so take it as that.

Jasper engines are junk. I bought my 94 two years ago with all the maintenance records. I enquired about the book of Jasper paperwork. The previous owner said he put 3 Jasper engines in it. The first at his cost, the second 2 at Jaspers cost (although he had to foot the bill and fight for monthes with Jasper to get his money back). When the 3rd Jasper motor expired, he bought a GM Longblock and had that installed. I bought it with 16K on the GM engine. No problems to date with the longblock, just everything else.

Although not my personal experience, I would avoid them. I have seen others that have had the same complaints. It is also my opinion that they do a cookie cutter rebuild for a profit.

If it where me (and it might be soon with my 93), I would talk to the Avants and get one of their engines.

Again, this is my opinion. Take it or leave it.
Waldo

Sub Spe
11-08-2004, 07:17
I don

cruzer
11-17-2004, 10:20
Jasper seemed exspensive in comparision to everybody else w/ apoor warranty. I'd stick w/someone who is familiar w/these engines and use either the new navistar blk or an old 599 blk. Some 6.2's can be bored to 6.5 specs. just mt 2cts.