PDA

View Full Version : Tach success

mhagie
12-07-2003, 18:45
Dr. Lee, Just in case you haven't noticed on my posts in the 6.2 forum I now have a working tach driven by the ESS.
Turns out that the dip switches were goofy switched them back and forth a couple of times ended up in the 4cyl mode makes me think the dip switches were installed upside down.
Got 2400 rpm in 25ms so all is well, thanks again for the article it worked just as you described. :D
Merle

CleviteKid
12-08-2003, 06:55
Hey Merle,

I saw the exchange between you and jd about getting the tach to work. The circuit is so simple you would think the tachometer company could stick it in for about 50 cents and save us the grief. Oh well . . . .

Congrats on correcting the factory's error and making it work. Compared to my old Autometer tach with the alternator pickup, the ESS driven one is much smoother and more responsive. I think I was seeing the effect of the alternator V-belt slipping while the engine was revving up quickly.

Which model tach did you end up with? If I had it to do over I would have used at least a 4" face, if not larger.

Dr. Lee http://www.handykult.de/plaudersmilies.de/xmas/wbaum.gif

mhagie
12-08-2003, 10:16
Dr. Lee I copied your installation to the letter, I have the same tach as yours.
I agree with you a little larger face would be nice but I like the 0-4000 much better than the
8&9000 units, a little overkill with our diesels.
Fabricated the final transister package yesterday as per jd's instructions, hardly bigger than my thumbnail, looks good! :D Merle
PS I like your little holiday inserts.