PDA

View Full Version : 85 - 93 Glow Controller Improvement

CleviteKid
04-25-2004, 08:28
Back in 2000, More Power had an article on www.TheDieselPage.com (http://www.TheDieselPage.com) about the inner workings of the glow plug controllers for the 1985 - 1993 trucks. Based on that examination, I upgraded the thermo-mechanical nightmare system on my 1984 to the next generation of glow controller.

In his article, MP reported his analysis and tests of adding a 5 ohm resistor to the feed to pin "C" of the controller, which added 2 to 4 seconds of glow time. For use with the AC 60G glow plugs, which heat up slowly and don't reach the same peak temperature, this extra glow time can be beneficial.

Here in Miami I have not needed extra glow time, but ever mindful of our members in colder climates (almost all of you) I have looked into a refinement of that suggestion. I have added a Negative Temperature Coefficient (NTC) thermistor with a nominal value of 5 ohms at 25C (77F). The NTC part means at lower temperature the resistance is higher (longer glow time) and at higher temperature, the resistance is lower (shorter glow time). Before installing it for testing, I first measured the resistance at room temperature and saw 4.9 ohms on my Fluke. Then I put the thermistor between two ice cubes, and watched the resistance rise to 13.8 ohms. Finally, putting it in 180F water dropped the resistance to 1.9 ohms. Promising.

In the engine, at about 80F ambient, my initial glow time was increased from about 4 seconds to about 6 seconds. Now all I need to do is to find a drive-in freezer to test the low temperature effect :eek: .

The NTC thermistor I used was from Digi-Key, and is a Thermometrics RL-4504-3. It is only rated for 1 watt, but for the brief duty cycle it sees in our trucks, it should work just fine.

Dr. Lee :cool:

[ 04-25-2004, 12:30 PM: Message edited by: CleviteKid ]

More Power
04-26-2004, 15:17
That's a great idea! Just the ticket for seasonal ambient temp compensation...

MP

dieselbegreat
04-26-2004, 16:07
Yeah, by the time I find one it'll be too late in the season to check for cold weather operation here. Thanks for taking it to the next level of sophistication!

Uncle Wally
04-26-2004, 17:08
But what can be done for the 94+ trucks?

Waldo

CleviteKid
04-26-2004, 18:03
Sell your '94 and buy a truck that is NOT dependent on computers . . .

. . . or suggest to More Power that there is a need for a similar understanding of the more recent glow control system.

Dr. Lee ;)

More Power
04-28-2004, 08:48
For the electronic trucks, this has been available to members for some months now.......

http://www.thedieselpage.com/members/features/toddm.htm

MP

CleviteKid
04-28-2004, 09:05
ARRGGHHHH ! :( I violated my own rule about actually checking the 1,000+ pages of information available on www.TheDieselPage.com (http://www.TheDieselPage.com) before asking for help in the Forum.

Todd's solution is really pretty simple to implement and could help greatly if you have a slightly reluctant 1994 or newer truck.

Thanx Todd, for the writeup, and thanx More Power, for directing us to it.

Dr. Lee :cool:

Bobbie Martin
04-28-2004, 09:59
Originally posted by CleviteKid:
Sell your '94 and buy a truck that is NOT dependent on computers . . .Or make your 94+ truck less dependent on computers! Actually the PMD does a great job of operating the glow plugs. Its the fuel injection pump it has a problem with. ;)

ToddMeister
04-30-2004, 10:21
You're welcome, Dr. Lee!