PDA

View Full Version : OEM block heater failure

bespander
12-08-2003, 15:55
How common is OEM block heater failure? I searched the database and didn't get hits for failure.

I was driving home Friday when the OEM block heater failed coming out of the freeze plug opening. You lose coolant very fast and don't have a lot of time to react when you are on the super slab. The engine is an '88 GoodWrench 6.2. The cross bar that holds the block in place from the back had broken.

After figuring out what the problems was, I went home and pulled out the block heater from an '82 C series. It was also failing from the same problem. Pulled the block heater out of an '83 J series and it had the same problem. Pulled the block heater out of '93 6.5 and it was OK.

All four block heaters had the same part number. The '82 and '83 had machined brass housings and the '88 and '93 had stamped brass housings.

bill

CleviteKid
12-08-2003, 16:40
When I read your question I seem to recall at least one report of a mechanical (as opposed to electrical or functional) failure of a block heater.

Could be related to stress corrosion cracking. So this is one more reason to use DISTILLED water with the coolant, and to change it frequently. I use DEXCOOL with great success in my 1984 truck, but do NOT try to get 5 years or 150,000 miles. I change 1/2 of it every year, always using distilled water.

Dr. Lee http://www.handykult.de/plaudersmilies.de/xmas/wbaum4.gif

arveetek
12-11-2003, 07:59
I had the same failure on my '81. I don't recall how old the block heater was when it failed on mine, but I drove nearly 3 miles with no coolant without realizing it. Luckily no harm was done.

The bar holding the heater in had failed just as you described. I guess it finally corroded and popped loose.

I think the block heater ought to be replaced as part of general maintenance. I'm not sure how often it should be replaced, though. Maybe every 5 or 6 years?

Casey

CareyWeber
12-11-2003, 18:10
When I replaced all my hoses and coolant last year I also replaced the block heater because it was not heating anymore.

When I pulled it out I noticed that it had started seeping coolant.

Carey

Dezman125
12-28-2003, 23:03
I bought a 90 k3500 that the same thing happened on.It has 65k on it.I wasn't as lucky as you were,the head on the block heater side cracked between the intake and injecter.Was hoping that i got a good deal,but will have to spend a few more $$$ on it.So changing the block heaters probly is good pm,especialy if you don't know how old they are.

moondoggie
12-29-2003, 12:01
Good Day!

Owned a 93 350 Sub (before finding our present 95). Blew frost plug heater & most coolant out while my wife was going 70 on superslab. She caught it pretty quick & no apparent damage. This sub had about 160K on it.

Blessings!

Brian Johnson, #5044

TurboDiverArt
12-29-2003, 17:10
Originally posted by CleviteKid:
Could be related to stress corrosion cracking. So this is one more reason to use DISTILLED water with the coolant, and to change it frequently. I use DEXCOOL with great success in my 1984 truck, but do NOT try to get 5 years or 150,000 miles. I change 1/2 of it every year, always using distilled water.

Dr. Lee http://www.handykult.de/plaudersmilies.de/xmas/wbaum4.gif Dr. Lee,

When you say change the Dex cool each year. My 1999 K2500 Suburban has about 8 gallons of coolant (~28 quarts with the rear heater). Since changing the fluid is such a PITA, does it make since to change about 1/3 each year? I'm thinking draining the radiator, which is about 3 gallons by my calculations and refilling with new Dex 50/50. Will this mean I never have to go through the multiple all day flushing and refilling routine like I did this weekend? What a mess and time consuming process. Draining the radiator once a year is enough for me and I

CleviteKid
12-30-2003, 06:54
See my answer under the Thread on this Forum:
Coolant renewal vs. replacement ? ? ? (http://forum.thedieselpage.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=16;t=000575)

Dr. Lee :cool:

TurboDiverArt
12-30-2003, 07:37
Originally posted by CleviteKid:
See my answer under the Thread on this Forum:
Coolant renewal vs. replacement ? ? ? (http://forum.thedieselpage.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=16;t=000575)

Dr. Lee :cool: Thanks!