PDA

View Full Version : IP Question

dieseldummy
12-08-2003, 16:27
Dr Lee,

I have recently acquired a DB2-4544E injection pump. I wanted to know if i could be updated to -4911 specs, or if it could be fitted with a DB4 head assembly. I was wanting to do some of the work myself. Do you think that any of this is possible? Somedays I have worse ideas than others, so if this sounds completely crazy just say so.

Thanks,
Justin

CleviteKid
12-08-2003, 16:45
I don't know enuf about them to know if DB4 innards can be packed into a DB2 housing, but I am 99.4% confident (always leave a little wiggle room) that they will NOT.

Of course you can take your pump apart and replace parts, but Stanadyne is very secretive about how EXACTLY to update specs, and without Stanadyne calibration equipment I am 99.4% confident that when you put the pump back together you would not be satisfied with the way it works.

But keep thinking - I like original thinkers and outside-the-box projects !!

Dr. Lee http://www.handykult.de/plaudersmilies.de/pump.gif

britannic
12-08-2003, 18:38
The military manual TM 9-2320-289-34 contains an entire section on how to completely strip, rebuild and calibrate the DB2 on the CUCV M1028. If you could get the military manual for the mechanical injected H1, it should have something similar.

Considering the cost of the calibration equipment, it's probably more cost effective to discuss your needs with a rebuilder like Tim Wagner @ http://www.accuratediesel.com/. He rebuilt my milspec DB2 to 4911 specs for a very reasonable rate and his customer service is second to none.

dieseldummy
12-09-2003, 12:28
Sometimes the little voices in my head tell me to do things, so that's where my bad ideas come from. I was pretty sure that a person couldn't pack DB4 parts in a DB2. I just wanted to know how feasible it would be for someone to work on a pump without much knowledge or equipment. As far as equipment goes, what does it take to calibrate a pump when putting it together, what has to be set? The pump I have has a sticker on it that indicates that it was rebuilt by Champion Diesel. I bought it from NY. Does anyone know about this place? Sorry for droning on and on, sometimes I have a streak of curiosity that runs a mile deep. Any info would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Justin