PDA

View Full Version : wrist pin noise

crash9
11-12-2004, 06:51
I

JeepSJ
11-16-2004, 13:35
In my experience, a wrist pin problem does not present itself as a whirring, it typically will generate a knocking sound. Where exactly do you hear the sound? Could you be picking up a bearing noise from your water pump or other accessory?

The painting trick is just a line across the outer and inner sections of the damper. If the rubber starts to fail and the outer ring spins, it will be immediately apparent as the lines will be offset.

196K miles on a stock damper is a lot.

Hye
11-20-2004, 07:01
Whirring sound on left, driver side?, bank sounds more like low P.S fluid level or pump noise.

One '83 dampener failed at about 185K. V Belts. That was so long ago, I don't remember much about it except that the dealer mis-diagnosed it as a cracked block! That's when I started doing most of my own work.

I got 350K, and still counting very slowly, out of a '89 dampener. Serpentine belt. The hex heads should be exactly centered between spokes. If it's really bad, the hex heads hit the spokes, causing random rattling sounds, unfounded fears of impending engine explosion, etc. On serpentine belt engines, GM calls the dampener a pulley and the piece between it and the crank a harmonic balancer. The pulley is the one that fails first. I've never had a failed harmonic balancer.