PDA

View Full Version : Hard Shift 4L80E

jimalove
06-27-2003, 10:08
Dr Lee

My 93 TBD has started to shift hard in all gears.When I start off easy it shift ok,when I accelerate fast it shifts hard.There are no codes,the truck has 80,000 miles on it.Could it be one of the solenoids on the trans?

Thanks

Jim

C.K. Piquup
07-15-2003, 06:09
Don`t know why the change,nor whether you even have a problem.My `91K2500 Suburban(I still use"K",stubborn I guess)has a totally rebuilt 700R4,including module&prom,and it shifts hard.Easy on the throttle helps,just like your`s.I like it and think your`s sounds fine.Any true experts out there?Most people complain the factory sets them up too soft.Soft means more slippage,which means more heat.Hard means stress.How much can they take.I think a good bit,but I`m sure there`s a sweet spot.I need(and like)heavy-duty,so I want it tight.$.02

David Brady
07-24-2003, 09:34
I don't have the answer, but I'll relay my experience with my 4L80E. I had a hard shift from 1st to second get harder and finally stuck in second. I should have drained and done the filter but instead I took it to the trans shop and ripped me off by replacing a bunch of good parts. They gave me a good warrenty, but after another 35K it started shifting hard again, only from 1st to second. Now I just let up on the pedal at that shift pt. :confused:

moondoggie
07-24-2003, 11:11
Good Day!

You might have better luck with a question like this on the 6.5L Turbo Diesel forum. Dr. Lee's truck has (I think) a 700R4.

Blessings!

Brian Johnson, #6042

'82 6.2 1500 4X4 1/2T pickup, 4spd man w/ OD, bone stock, 335K+, "In Rust We Trust"
'89 6.2 4X4 1/2T pickup, bone stock, 145K+
'95 6.5TD 2500 4X4 heavy 3/4T pickup, Gear Vendors Aux. OD, 180K +
'95 6.5TD 1500 4X4 3/4T Suburban, Kennedy exhaust, 200K +

jimbo6.5
07-27-2003, 09:07
BESIDES, i do beleive when coressponding
with the good DR> the proceedure is to e-mail him with your comment or ?'s and he will see fit to bring it to his forum
thus saving you the greive of being told your asking the wrong person or in the wrong place, youll be let known through e-mail "E-mail your questions for Dr. Lee to leeswanger@yahoo.com, and he will post selected questions and his answers here," for members only. easy thru e-mail

[ 08-11-2003, 04:29 PM: Message edited by: jimbo6.5 ]

Kollin Syverson
07-27-2003, 20:44
I will speak from my own experiences. First, my advice is to sell it and get a manual tranny, they will last much longer. If you are bound and determined to keep an automatic, then take it in and get a shift kit put in. If an auto tranny shifts nice and easy, that means there is slippage between clutch plates. Slippage creates wear and heat, heat destroys an automatic tranny. By installing a shift kit, you get firm rock hard shifts. I have never lost a tranny from a shift kit, but I have lost too many with out it. Of course that was before I made the switch to a manual tranny. Just my own experiences.

C.K. Piquup
07-27-2003, 21:45
A`92K3500SRW & a`95K2500HD,100,000mi.is all I`ve gotten from an NV4500.Never had a problem w/4spd Manual,though.I had clutch plates roached in 1,500mi.w/too tight shift on my`71K5 w/TH400(4.56:1posi,425hp&37"Swampers).I got 75,000mi.from right set-up before selling.Did I mention the 450#tq?Anyhow,We`re not talking about soft shift problems here.

moondoggie
07-28-2003, 12:07
Good Day!

jimbo6.5 said: "i do beleive when coressponding with the good DR> the proceedure is to e-mail him with your comment or ?'s and he will see fit to bring it to his forum thus saving you the greive of being told your asking the wrong person or in the wrong place, youll be let down easy thru e-mail"

Can anyone verify this? I don't believe it's true. At the bottom of each forum is a button named "New Topic." I think anyone can open a new topic in the "Ask Dr. Lee:" forum (or any other forum, for that matter), but I'm not going to open a new one in Dr. Lee's area just to be sure.

Please forgive any offense - none intended. I've just seen that sometimes these topics get opened in Dr. Lee's forum, & he never posts a reply. This ONLY seems to happen when it's a topic that makes better sense for a different forum than his. I sometimes put my replies in (like 7/24 above) for a couple reasons: 1) so the person who opened the topic might get a quicker answer by posting his question in a more relevant forum; & 2) so Dr. Lee can use his limited time for the kind of things he like to reply to. (I'd rather make most efficient use of his extensive knowledge & experience.)

My response has no effect on whether Dr. Lee responds to this or any other topic. Golly, I don't even know him. My intent was to help both the person starting the topic & Dr. Lee. If I shouldn't do this, let me know & I won't.

I appreciate your patience - "of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most."

Blessings!

Brian Johnson, #5044