PDA

View Full Version : Pitting

Noel
11-22-2004, 13:28
The head gasket just blew on 95 6.5TD(112000km), when I pulled the heads I found that there was pitting between the sleeve and block I would say it's the block not the sleeve. It would be .2mm -.5mm deep. What caused this and is it reparable???

tom.mcinerney
11-23-2004, 18:01
Noel
Can we agree that "sleeve"='head gasket'?
Else i'm lost.

Uncle Wally
11-24-2004, 07:22
This sounds a little like something I used to deal with on some Cummins VTR1710's that we ran on railroad maintenance equipment.

Issues came about between the sleeve and block. Something to do with localized high temps between the two and the type of coolant we ran. The answer was a coolant additive that fleetguard calls DCA. I'm not the expert on this, but I know it cost us a lot of money trying to figure out the issue in the late 80's early 90's.

Maybe someone can expound that has a more technical background. I am wondering if it is possible to get the same phenomena when dealing with a coolant leak on head gasket, especially with the 'green' coolant.

Question I am pondering - I don't think you can sleeve a 6.5 block. Maybe you can, but I've never heard of it being done. (not that I am all knowing)

Waldo

alaskaflyer
12-11-2004, 06:31
I'm no expert, but I drive a truck for a living and we have a Detroit series 60 engine in our truck. We constantly play the game of DCA's. And the way it was explain to me is: some parts in the engine are susceptible to deteriation due to the acid reactions between the metals and the antifreeze. What DCA's do is allow you to control the Ph factor to keep that in an acceptable range to control this. We usually check oursDca level) every other oil change and oppisite of that we change our water filter which contains DCAs every other oil change. Always in range.