PDA

View Full Version : Gas to Diesel Tanks

snoman87
11-23-2004, 08:41
What is the best way to rinse the gas out of my tanks before filling it with diesel. I am assuming that I will have to pickup a diesel sending unit ... is this true or are there other options I haven't found?

I am converting 87' 2wd 3/4T Crew Cab from TBI350 to a 83' 6.2L. I will be swapping the complete engine and cab harness (to get A/T/C/PW/PL). I will be removing the stock fuel gasser fuel filter and replacing it with a diesel one. I was thinking of upgrading the glow plug controller to a newer style as well.

Will I have to change out the fuel lines from the tank to switcher and switcher to lift pump?

DmaxMaverick
11-23-2004, 18:05
If the tank is clean, remove what you can, and fill it with #2. The fuel system won't notice that little bit of gas in the least. You pump in more gas than that every time you fill up with Diesel more often than you'd care to know about.

Flush the lines and leave them if they are in good shape. A weak connection/fitting may beging to weep fuel after a while (gas would evaporate, Diesel hangs around). No reason to replace them if they are in good repair.

The '87 controller is a good one. If you don't want it, install a manual system and forget the guess work and troubleshooting headaches.

tom.mcinerney
11-23-2004, 18:10
Sno
Can't answer the quest you pose. Sorry.

Strongly suggest that you obtain the OEM diesel fuel filtration system that was in the engine compartment the 6.2L engine came from. This is a sound, conventional dual (primary and secondary) filter arrangement, which minimizes the chance of a fuel injection pump suffering death from contamination. The 6.5 only has a single filter; the pumps occassionally ingest debris.

NH2112
11-23-2004, 19:58
The TBI sender will have a supply and return tube so you won't need to do anything special. My truck used to have a 4.3L V6 in it, and its original fuel sender is working just fine, It has 3 tubes on it, I'm assuming originally 2 of the 3 were used with the evaporative canister but now one of them is my return to tank. Don't know what the 3rd one does, though LOL

snoman87
11-24-2004, 08:51
if I understand correctly ... I should be able to use the stock gas fuel regulator and internal gas fuel pump with an diesel inline filter. I will just have to put in a pressure regulator before the mechanical lift pump.

Peter J. Bierman
11-24-2004, 14:47
No need for a pressure regulator, just pump it to the lift pump.
The injection pump has an internal regulator and is capable to handle more fuel the any electric fuel pump can give.
Again the filter before the injection pump is the most critical part off the system.
This is so important that it needs all the attention you can give it.
This care pays off in term. :D

If you have cold winters a OEM setup with heater is recomended if not a good dual setup from a tractor or truck will do.

Peter

mklein
11-29-2004, 05:30
You might want to regulate that pressure down before it goes into the injection pump. Pressures greater than 7psi can cause the pump to run at a greater than desired advane.