PDA

View Full Version : When your crank is scored, but still in spec...

SaintC
12-13-2003, 00:02
Hi Doc,

When your crank is scored, but still within spec, is it better to go with a thicker multigrade...20w-50, or with a single grade....30w?
This is for Southern Calif driving. Start up temperature is always above 55 degrees.

Thanks

BTW..after posting, I reread it and can see a joke or two....nah.... smile.gif

CleviteKid
12-13-2003, 03:38
Go with the 20W-50. Both oils are MUCH thicker at start-up than they will be when warm, but the 20W-50 will retain more of its viscosity at operating temperature when you have higher inertia loads (from RPM) and gas pressure loads (from a heavy right foot) trying to make your crankshaft get real friendly with your bearings.

This might be a time to ignore the advice to not use STP with diesels, and put one bottle of original blue STP in the crankcase. Don't use a clone, only the real STP has a useful blend of viscosity index improvers and zinc dithiophosphate for extra wear resistance.

Dr. Lee :cool:

SaintC
12-13-2003, 12:26
Excellent!!! Thanks

Oh, and Clevite...the parts counter guy pronouced it cle vit with a short e and short i

I think it is cleee vite....like Cleveland, with long e and long i.

Did I get it right?

[ 12-13-2003, 12:51 PM: Message edited by: SaintC ]

CleviteKid
12-13-2003, 20:42
CLEEEEEEV - eye-TE is correct, Cleve like in Cleveland, and ite like in graphite. Clevite is a contraction of Cleveland Graphite Bronze, one of the earliest products in 1919 was a starter bushing made of bronze, with indentations in the bronze for a graphite and linseed oil pasts - graphited bronze.

The Clevite Kid. :cool: