PDA

View Full Version : 6.2 cooling and turbo

198662T
11-24-2004, 17:44
OK I am about to run my 6.2 with a home built turbo set up (from a 1994 6.5). 2 questions. First, I want to run electric cooling fans but do not know how much (CFM) rating I need. I have the pump turned up after a rebuild. I will be pulling air through the radiator,condensor and charge air cooler. Secondly where do I begin with timing on the motor. I have a MT-480 meter. I will be installing the waste gate controller from Heath.I was told by the locals to go to 10 degrees on the timing and 10 lbs of boost and then drive it and monitor the EGT readings vs. boost and tail pipe emissions for smoke. I understand this will be a tuning trial and error but with the experience one this sight someone should be able to get me close to optimal so I dont burn her down or up which ever you prefer!! I am just looking for a safe place to start so I can begin the driving/tuning process safely for the motor. By the way it is an automatic (th-400) with 3.73 gears. Tire size to be determined yet. Thanks for the best sight on the net !!!!!!!!!!

Peter J. Bierman
11-26-2004, 06:07
I wouls start you timing at standard setting and take it from there with a little advance at the time.
As soon as it starts to sound like a powerstroke you are too far :D

Both Britannic and Dieselboy came to a setting that was not to far off from normal so don't go big steps.

I think that in general the opinion is that electric fans, even duals, are not up t the job off cooling these engines.
Even the biggest elctric fan can't flow the amount the OEM 5 blade fan can, not even talking about bigger fans like mine or a Dmax fan.

I dont want to scare you but might want to reconcidder now you know :rolleyes:

Peter

198662T
11-27-2004, 17:19
Thanks for the reply. I sort of figured the same on the cooling fans but had to ask.Any luck with a lower temp. fan clutch for the stock fan? I think I read in a post some where that there is a 7 blade fan that will fit our trucks , any ideas?Thanks again.

Peter J. Bierman
11-28-2004, 06:54
I am not aware off any kind off replacement fan for the 6.2.
I made my own and run a 21" 8 blade fan on the stock clutch.
I did not ever hear the clutch engage not even towing on a 35deg C. day.
Most importand thing on cooling is a good ( hi flow ) thermostat and a clean ( inside and out ) radiator.
All 6.5 upgades will not work on a 6.2 couse they run the opposit direction couse off the serpentine belt in stead off the v-belts we run.
You can buy a hiflow pump with peninsular diesel and modificate a 6.5 dual t-stat crossover if you have cooling problems.
But with you "not all there is in it" power modifications, I do not think you have trouble keeping the engine temps within spec's.

Peter

doncannon
11-29-2004, 19:41
Peter,

Where did you get an 8 blade fan?

Thanks in advance,
Don

britannic
11-29-2004, 19:58
Measure the timing at 1400-2000rpm. Bear in mind, that as boost increases, so does the speed of combustion; too much advance can become dangerous and counter productive as cylinder pressures rise.

Start with 2* BTDC at 1400-2000rpm and advance the timing in fractions of a degree to test for optimum power and smoke.

Originally posted by SWK:
OK I am about to run my 6.2 with a home built turbo set up (from a 1994 6.5). 2 questions. First, I want to run electric cooling fans but do not know how much (CFM) rating I need. I have the pump turned up after a rebuild. I will be pulling air through the radiator,condensor and charge air cooler. Secondly where do I begin with timing on the motor. I have a MT-480 meter. I will be installing the waste gate controller from Heath.I was told by the locals to go to 10 degrees on the timing and 10 lbs of boost and then drive it and monitor the EGT readings vs. boost and tail pipe emissions for smoke. I understand this will be a tuning trial and error but with the experience one this sight someone should be able to get me close to optimal so I dont burn her down or up which ever you prefer!! I am just looking for a safe place to start so I can begin the driving/tuning process safely for the motor. By the way it is an automatic (th-400) with 3.73 gears. Tire size to be determined yet. Thanks for the best sight on the net !!!!!!!!!!

[ 11-29-2004, 07:55 PM: Message edited by: britannic ]

Peter J. Bierman
11-30-2004, 13:44
Don,

My fan came from a Volvo L90C wheelloader and was 25".
I cut it down to 21"and modified the center to fit the clutch.
I had to put in a 1.5"spacer between the pump and the clutch to clear the powersteering pump, couse off the pitch :D
Not an easy job but hey I modified the whole engine ;)

Peter

198662T
12-03-2004, 15:51
He thanks guys. Britannica ,you stated to check timing at 1400-2000 rpm and road test. What should I see for EGT readings? (loaded question) The EGT should not be useable until I get to drive the motor and put under load. I dont expect EGT over 4-500 at a stand still. Is the "sweet spot" on the 6.2 around 18-2200 rpm? Been reading a bunch of posts about this but the details on the engine combos were not all clear.Thanks again.

nape
12-04-2004, 18:38
SEK, I run an electric fan on my 90 Sub with turbo 6.2. I do not have it on an automatic switch and never need it unless in town or heavy towing. I took the fan off of a full size Cougar with a 4.6 v8. With a little modification it works great and cost me twenty bucks. Nape