PDA

View Full Version : Rotella 5W-40 Synthetic Oil

moondoggie
12-15-2003, 09:51
Good Day!

I was hoping I could get a clarification about something without wasting too much of your time. Awhile ago you suggested (pretty strongly) that using a 5W-anything oil in the summer heat while pulling a load was a bad idea. It is alleged (but not proved) that I have ≈ 60 gallons of 5W-40 Synthetic Rotella in my garage, to be used in everything I own that isn't a 2-cycle. I'm confused. If this stuff is SAE 40 at 210

silverado
12-15-2003, 16:30
Moondoggie
I use Rotella T syn.5-40 year around in my trucks. My RV weights almost 11500 loaded. that I pull with my '01 DMAX never had problems no matter what the temp. was. I also use 75-90 in the rear no problems either. MY neighbor pulls heavier loads than I with no trouble. Know you did not ask about the rear but though I would it in any way. Hope that helps.
Bruce

CleviteKid
12-16-2003, 08:48
I must be getting confused in my old age. I may have said don't use 5W-XX, but you are correct, the viscosity at high temperature is what is important when towing.

As long as your oil is diesel-rated (CG, CH, CI) you should be OK.

Dr. Lee :cool:

moondoggie
12-16-2003, 09:30
Good Day!

Confused? Definitely not you. What you did was clear up MY confusion. I have a room in the home for the perpetually confused. Hence, my question.

You have REALLY set my mind at ease, as you do for all of us so many times.

Blessings!

Brian Johnson, #5044

moondoggie
12-16-2003, 09:36
Good Day!

I found it! I mis-read your reply to Thoughts on Lighter Oil (http://forum.thedieselpage.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=16;t=000540).

Sorry I wasted your time. As I've said before, of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most.

Blessings!

Brian Johnson, #5044