PDA

View Full Version : Adding Acetone to Diesel?

L. H. Bridges
01-05-2006, 09:12
Dr Lee,

I recently recieved a link to the following webpage:

http://www.pureenergysystems.com/news/2005/03/17/6900069_Acetone/

The page mostly describes the benefits of adding Acetone to gasoline for an increase in fuel mileage. The page also mentions 1 to 2 ounces per 10 gallons of diesel fuel.

Is this for real? Or do common diesel fuel additives already do this?

Thanks

Chip

CleviteKid
01-05-2006, 17:04
All acetone will do in diesel fuel is lower the cetane rating, the opposite of what we want.

If acetone did have all the benefits claimed, in the small doses suggested, the EPA would MANDATE its use to conserve gasoline. I think this guy really just wants to sell his scan-thingy.

For spark ignition engines only, the fuel additive of choice is toluene. Toluene raises octane and adds oxygen and burns cleanly. It also gets sniffers high, but that is their problem.

Dr. Lee :cool:

Barry Nave
01-13-2006, 12:17
Toluene

I take it than that this is not eazy to get or do some over the counter additives have this in it?
104+ etc.

britannic
01-20-2006, 21:05
For petrol (gasoline) engines, here's an interesting article that includes Toluene: Octane boosters tested--really! (http://europeancarweb.com/tech/0503ec_techboost/)

hoot_223
08-05-2006, 22:03
I tried it 1 time on a trip normally the suburban gets 28mpg hwy. but adding the acetone it only got 16mpg hwy

Robyn
08-06-2006, 07:58
I agree with Clevite on this one for sure.
I have used tranny fluid as an additive to diesel fuel for years. It keeps nozzles and pumps clean as a whistle and helps lubricate a bit more.
As far as octane boosters for Gassers I have used the cans of 104 back in the days that I was running a 427 side oiler in my then new 76 Ford F250 4X4
The mileage never changed but it kept the rattle away.
This day and age with everyone watching who is buying what chemicals I wonder how easy toluene would be to get as there are many not so nice uses for that stuff.

Robyn

ZZ
08-06-2006, 12:27
Robyn, how much tranny fluid do you use per tank, and which type fluid?

CleviteKid
08-07-2006, 13:23
Another fuel additive to consider is Two-stroke oil. It is made to be burned cleanly, and it is loaded with anti-friction and anti-wear additives. I use TC-W3 at a rate of about one part per thousand.

Also, unlike ATF, it will not give your fuel a red tint, which can have consequences well beyond and benefits to your engine. :rolleyes:

gmctd
08-18-2006, 05:55
Acetone is the most volatile of solvents, having a vapor point of ~130deg, and a flash point of ~900deg, easily ignited by commonly available ignition sources.

As we all know, Diesel fuel has a flash point of ~1625deg.

Since your fuel tank gets the returned excess fuel from the 6.5 fuel injection scheme and is usually about 130-150deg, imagine what soon happens to the added 2oz of acetone.

When you open the fuel cap, you get a face full of acetone vapors, with a much lower flash point, well within the range of the effective energy of - you guessed it - static electricity, cigarette\cigar embers, etc.

Not exactly my cup of tea, eh?