PDA

View Full Version : To buy an old truck, or not ? ? ?

CleviteKid
05-12-2004, 09:31
Dr. Lee:

I am Considering purchasing a 1986 k10 truck with as a 6.2L diesel in it. I have talked to many people about that engine, and I was wanting a professional's opinion on its reliability. I have heard that they had problems with it cracking blocks and heads. I, of course, do not want to have something like that happen. I have also had owners tell me that they were fine, albiet a little slow. the truck has 60k miles on it, if that helps you.

Thanks for your help,

Mike

Hello Mike:

I am driving a 1984 C-10 with the non-turbo diesel, so Jim asked me to answer your question.

The cracks in the heads are mostly cosmentic, and if you join TheDieselPage.com you will find instructions on how to cure those cracks for good.

The cracks in the block are potentially more of a problem, but many engines do not crack, and many more run fine for years with small cracks.

If you want to inspect the truck before you buy it, you will need to get the seller to agree to have the oil pan pulled off the bottom of the engine. A mechanic will have to reinstall it properly with silicone sealant so it does not leak when you are done.

The inspector will be looking at the webs that hold the upper main bearings. The caps have 4 bolts each, and you want to look at the region next to the OUTER bolts. The best way to do this is to wipe these areas above the bearing caps with a rag soaked in paint thinner or mineral spirits to get all the oil off the surface. He will have to roll the crankshaft to get access to both sides of all three middle webs.

Then go have a donut and a cup of coffee for about 15 or 20 minutes, and then come back and have a look. If the block is cracked, black oil will have oozed out of the cracks and be obvious on the clean surfaces. You might even feel the crack with the tip of a sharp knife blade. If you see nothing, the block is good, and will probably stay that way as long as you have the engine.

I have made a hobby of getting more power out of the diesel without a turbocharger, and my work is documented on www.TheDieselPage.com. (http://www.TheDieselPage.com.) My best time to date is 0 - 60 mph in 8.98 seconds, on the GTech. Not bad for a 4200 lb. truck.

Good luck in making your decision. By the way, if it really only has 60,000 miles on it, that is VERY LOW for a 1986 truck. More likely is 160,000 or 260,000. If the truck passes the block crack test, have the mechanic run a compression check. It should show a minimum of 325 psi, with the variation between high and low of less than 75 psi.

Dr. Lee :cool: