PDA

View Full Version : Oil Filtration

BuffaloGuy
12-17-2003, 20:27
Dr. Lee. I can get my hands on a nice dual remote oil filter housing. It has full flow to both filter locations simultaneously. My idea is:

Plumb from the motor to this housing the full flow from the factory filter location (adapter will be needed)

Install one standard quality wix filter and one fine micron filter.

The oil will seek the path of least resistance and some will invariably go thru the fine filter. I then change both filters at each oil change.

Or a variation:

I manufacture and install a resticting fitting on the return of the fine filter (size of hole per your reccomendations in your fine article). This would then limit the flow to the fine filter.

Will this work? Any comments or improvements
Ken

CleviteKid
12-18-2003, 03:45
This will work, if you include the restriction in the outlet of the fine filter. However, since it is being presented with oil from the sump that has NOT gone thru the main full-flow filter, it may plug prematurely from coarser particles. But since you will change it every time you change the main filter, you should derive a good benefit from this setup.

If you have access to an aircraft filter spliter (like a huge tubing cutter) you might want to inspect your first couple of fine filters after use so you can see if they are completely plugged or not.

Dr. Lee :cool:

BuffaloGuy
12-18-2003, 05:48
Thanks!