PDA

View Full Version : Nightmare in my garage

nape
12-04-2004, 17:08
Dr. Lee, I went the way of a used engine with a turbo. Low miles easy swap. Nothing but trouble. I have had cranking problems which seemed to fix themselves as nothing I did made any difference. Lately I have had fuel delivery problems which were finally relieved by another kill switch off an old pump. 800 miles later after being ecstatic about the new power fuel delivery problems have returned. What could possibly burn out a kill switch? Is all of this a ground problem? I have the original ground on the intake pass side, another on the glow switch, 90 model, and another from the firewall to the intake drivers side. Any suggestions? Nape

gmctd
12-08-2004, 10:06
Both batterys should be grounded to the intake manifold, front, one ground on each side.
Other grounding appears satisfactory.

Check voltage at solenoid for battery voltage, within 0.100 volts.

Problem is possibly not Fuel Shutoff Solenoid, but the inlet screen in the transfer pump housing, at the rear, where fuel enters IP.

Early had stainless steel screen, later got polycarbonate.

Could also be stuck HPCA solenoid, which increases advance by bypassing housing pressure to fuel tank.

Cranking speed is important, particularly in winter temps - starter bushings, brushes, connections.

If these have been addressed already, then - never mind...............

nape
12-08-2004, 19:59
The truck cranks great, just won't run after it cranks. I figured it was starving for fuel and checked the lift pump and then replaced all the flexible lines. This did nothing to the problem but when I replaced the entire top of the injection pump which contains the kill switch it cured the probem only to reappear about 800 miles later. I have no other ideas other than something is shorting out the kill switch. Nape

a5150nut
12-09-2004, 08:24
I know my 94 has to hit 100rpm cranking before the fuel pump will work. But then that is the electronic controls. I had week batteries once and it sounded like it was canking fast enough, but wouldn't start. Two batteries later and everthing was fine.

nape
12-09-2004, 12:01
A pump shop guy told me that it was probably a sticking check valve in the overflow fitting in the top of the pump. I will clean that and report the results. Thanks Nape

nape
12-09-2004, 20:42
Success!!!!!!!!! The overflow fitting was indeed stopped up with a glass epoxy looking substance. My fitting had no check valve. I cleaned out the stuff with a small drill bit, buffed the fitting, washed it out with ether and reinstalled it. The truck runs great!!!!!!!! I looked at the other kill switch and removed the same fitting (from the original kill switch) and it was stopped up to. Thanks to all. Nape

radrecon69
12-13-2004, 05:11
Nape didn't realize there was another IUKA in the whole of the USA is it a small town like mine, about 500 people 400 dogs 1000 head of cattle

Rick