PDA

View Full Version : Bypass filtration return to the engine

Uncle Wally
12-18-2003, 06:57
Dr. Lee or anyone else,

I want to install a bypass filtration system while I have the engine out of my 94. Since I have to fab something up for the oil return line from the new turbo, I thought that I might be able to tap into the same plate where the mechanical lift pump would be, if it had one.

Does this sound like a good idear? My only concern would be not to restrict the oil coming out of the turbo. It looks like the drain return line is 3/4". My idea is to place a tee right above the plate on the block and run 1" or so into the block, causing the turbo drain and bypass filtration to mix before entering the block. Sound adequate?

I have access to stainless tubing and fittings and all the stuff to flare/fab it. Was planning on doing the cooler lines while I was at it (mostly hard line with a few inches of flexable stainless braided for movement). Was thinking about mounting the filter on the drivers side up a little higher so it sould be changed from above. I haven't figured out the mounting aspects as of yet, but tubing would run forward under the engine and across to the passenger side. Affording a touch of cooling also.

What ya think?

Waldo

CareyWeber
12-18-2003, 11:19
Waldo,

The last intake bolt on the passenger side is open to the oil return side.

I had that bolt bored (I cheaked and had a friend do it on his lathe Dr Lee did it with a hand drill) and had a AN #4 fitting silver soldered to it.

Carey

CleviteKid
12-18-2003, 19:44
Waldo,

Your plan will work just fine. There is just a very minimal flow out of the bypass filter thru the 1/32" orifice to control the flow.

And contrary to rumors that get more distorted with time, I did NOT drill the bolt with a hand-drill. I threaded it into a piece of 2x4, bolted it to the table on my drill-press, and drilled it in the drill press.

Dr. Lee http://www.handykult.de/plaudersmilies.de/xmas/wmann3.gif