PDA

View Full Version : Desktop Dyno

cowboy832
12-20-2003, 15:10
Dr. Lee, Have you ever heard/used a program called Desktop Dyno 2000? If so, does it work for diesel motors, or just gassers? Is it worth getting, or is my money better spent on beer :D ?

CleviteKid
12-21-2003, 08:29
I have HEARD of Desktop Dyno, but have no personal knowledge about it. I suspect it is for gas motors only. How much does it cost? If not way too much, I might just get a copy and evalutate it for diesel engines, then we will all know. If someone has already done that, please post the results right here in this thread.

You know what Archie Bunker said about beer, you can't buy it, you can only rent it.

Dr. Lee :cool:

cowboy832
12-21-2003, 08:55
I saw a dusty copy of it in my local Oriely parts store for $40, and I found it offered online for about $35 plus shipping.
It would probably be interesting to the right person even if it doesn't cover diesels, but I would rather ride a bicycle for the rest of my life than have anything to do with gassers ;) , so it would be useless to me.

Cowracer
12-23-2003, 11:29
Desktop dyno is a program that lets you pick and choose between engine components and gives you theoretical HP and Torque numbers. The one I have messed with is only for gas, carburated, pushrod v-8s

A wide selection of parts are available by manufacturer and model/catalog number. You can select such and such crane cam, with Victor Jr. intake, play with timing and jets, and so on..

The numbers are reasonably accurate, but still no match for a good dyno pull.

this software has zero use with any diesel engine.

Tim

TurboDiverArt
12-30-2003, 05:57
Originally posted by cowboy832:
I saw a dusty copy of it in my local Oriely parts store for $40, and I found it offered online for about $35 plus shipping.
It would probably be interesting to the right person even if it doesn't cover diesels, but I would rather ride a bicycle for the rest of my life than have anything to do with gassers ;) , so it would be useless to me. Hey, hey, be nice to the gassers. The diesels need something to tow around... smile.gif