PDA

View Full Version : antifreeze leak

piersbc
03-22-2005, 05:31
I have a leak at the connection of the thermostat housing assembly and the line that goes back to the heater core on the passenger side. Has anyone had this problem and how easy of a fix is it. The connection looks like a threaded nut and a black steel clip?? I'd attach a pic but I don't know how...

john8662
03-22-2005, 06:00
http://members.cox.net/acmdsl/coolingmods/quickconn/index.html

Basically the fix is you can either:

A: Replace it with the factory part

B: Adapt it like I did (and many others have) and fix it where it won't likely leak again.

jkpyper
03-22-2005, 07:06
I believe the factory part is a cast material (magnesium?) that tends to corrode. The black clip is actually plastic and has a rubber o-ring inside. I've replaced mine twice. Once I had the fitting crack the other time I must've lost the o-ring in the black "quick disconnect" part. The parts guys know this part well at the dealership. I think I paid about $6.50 for the fitting and clip assembly.

Easy fix but a persistent PITA!

piersbc
03-22-2005, 07:34
Thanks guys...I'll try the rubber hose fix this weekend. I plan on keeping this truck a long time and I don't like fixing things more than once smile.gif john8862, any recolection of the inside diameter of the hose?

piersbc
03-22-2005, 07:37
One other question john8662...what did you use in place of the quick disconnect to put the rubber hose over? some adapter nipple??

Docfranco
03-22-2005, 07:55
I believe it is a 3/4 in pipe fitting to a 5/8 in hose barb. I picked mine up at PEP Boys. Good luck.