PDA

View Full Version : Glow Plug Problems!

Bill Siver
12-16-2004, 15:44
So, here is the story. I pulled the engine out to rebuild it in my '88 GMC 2500. I just put it back in, and I have run into some problems with the Glow Plugs. I have the engine cranking fine, and there is even more ground wires than stock. I have 2 gauge grounds from each battery to the intake manifold. Then I have 2 gauge ground wires from the intake to the frame. Then I have 10 gauge grounds from the controller base to the battery, a 10 gauge from the fire wall to the manifold, and then to the battery. A 10 gauge from the alt. to the battery, and I think there is 2 more, but I can't remember where.

Now, I only stated all this because I have had lots of problems with other vehicles and ground systems.

The problem I am having is no power to pin "B" or "D" with the key in any position. Also, I have tied the inhibit switch wires together to bypass the inhibit switch. When I used my Ohm meter, it tested open at room temp (in my garage, prob. 8 degrees Celsius) I figure the problem is the ign. power to the controller. Where can I look for a problem?

Any other ideas?

Where can I find a comprihensive diagram of the vac system for this truck? Right now, nothing connects to the vac. pump on the front of the engine, and I am not really sure how the other stuff is suposed to go together!

I'm SO frustrated already!

I hope this all makes sense.

Thanks,

Bill

Bill Siver
12-16-2004, 21:48
Also, is the glowplug system connected to the clutch switch in any way? Befor the engine was taken out, the clutch safety switch worked fine, now I can roll the engine over without the clutch being pushed in.

Thanks again,

Bill

Bill Siver
12-18-2004, 06:44
Never mind about the clutch switch. That was a one time thing that has fixed itself. What I need is where does the controller get its signal to turn on from? Neither pin D or pin B are getting power in any key position. I must have messed something up because it worked fine before the rebuild.

On another note, I got the truck started for the first time yesterday. It ran ok, but it needs to be timed. The only real problem was that it was running VERY fast with no throttle input from me. Can pump timing affect idle speeds that much, or should I start looking for other things? It could have been the cold advance solenoid way out of wack but I didn't have time to test that theory. Because of the seccond problem I had...It seems that at one point while the engine was running, it started making a loud exhaust noise. I assumed it was my exhaust donut not being installed properly. It turns out the noise was coming out of the intake manifold! I guess a valve, for some reason, stuck open allowing exhaust pulses to escape through the intake. Well, it went away while we were trying to get the truck back in the garage. At this point I was upset, depressed, and frustrated. It was only later, when talking with my father that we realized the noise went away. Tomorrow I will resume trying to sort this mess out, so if anyone has any glowplug info, maybe I won't have to jump off a bridge on my way home! j/k

Thanks everyone,

Bill

Bill Siver
12-19-2004, 18:15
Got everything figured out. I got the truck to run fairly well, but the idle is a little rough.

Thanks again,

Bill