PDA

View Full Version : changing timing chain?

1994gmcduallycrew
05-19-2004, 16:26
I was trying to find other than dealer timing chain and gear set for 1994 6.5 gmc dually TD. But i can only find chain, and i am told that they don't make an after market gear set. so my price is 267.00 CAD tax in at dealer and i can get them over night. Is it common to change just the chain because after market it is 41.00.

spitfirenut
05-19-2004, 17:41
I wouldn't change just a chain, but others might have another opinion. For that much from the dealer, I'd check out the diesel services group link in the advertisers section and look at the gear drive. Locks your timing in and doesn't stretch. Just a thought.

gmctd
05-19-2004, 20:13
Bad idea to change chain only - chain wear reduces functional diameter of sprockets, just like on motorcycles, or any other chain driven device.

Replacement is to recover timing degrees lost to stretch and wear, can be ~6 degrees retarded.
Low power, hard starting, etc.

Replacing chain only can recover half of that.

Timing set replacment will restore oem power, whether chainset or gearset.

Dezman125
05-20-2004, 08:31
Hi
I got my set of gears from Diesel service's group. They are in Sask. My stuff got here in 3 days. You should be able to get it overnight from them. You also get a Diesel Page Member discout thru them.While you have it apart to change the gears,it would be a good time to go with a high volume water pump. They were introduced in later 97.Get one for a 98 and it should be a bolt on replacement.Also check your harmonic balancer while you have it apart,along with your belt pully.Look for cracks in rubber,or rubber pushing out or distorted,replace if you have any doubts
Have Fun