PDA

View Full Version : Coolent filter

Dezman125
12-28-2003, 10:21
I have a 90 6.2 that will be my work truck. I have heavy equipment that i need to start in the winter.I want to plumb in some quick couplers into the coolent system to warm up the equipment. The question i have is,has anyone looked at installing a coolent filter/conditioner from a big rig to help clean and condition the coolent.In my case i will be getting coolent exchange from a few different engins,and would like to protect my 6.2 as much as posible. Any coments or sugestions would be great. Thanks

Peter J. Bierman
12-28-2003, 14:40
You could put the coolant filter right behind the " auxilary return" coupling so you allways have clean filtered and conditioned coolant flowing back into your system.

Good luck Peter

LanduytG
12-28-2003, 15:16
Not sure I would want to cross contaminate coolants. I better idea for your deal is a portable Espar heater. I have made up a couple of these units for customers.

Greg

moondoggie
12-30-2003, 04:51
Good Day!

When reading farm magazines a number of years ago, I saw kits advertised that would do what you describe. I always wondered what the effect would be of connecting the cooling system of a fully warmed up engine to another engine that was at, say, -30

jbplock
12-30-2003, 06:18
I added a Baldwin B5134 (http://community.webshots.com/album/91409363hjwmod) coolant filter to my Duramax.. Seems like this would also work on your 6.2.

More info: Coolant Filters (http://forum.thedieselpage.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=3;t=006730)

smile.gif

Animal
12-30-2003, 07:18
Originally posted by LanduytG:
Not sure I would want to cross contaminate coolants.

Greg You could plumb in a heat exchanger to your vehicle to isolate your system from the equipments. All you would need is a 12VDC circulator with quick disconnects and it should work fine.

tom.mcinerney
12-30-2003, 19:35
I vote for Animal's solution. This keeps separate coolant streams, and also transfers heat gradually, allaying Moon's concerns. Peninsular Engines{or any boating dealer in a marine, as in brine environment) should be able to supply an apt liquid/liquid heat exchanger {and self-priming pump}, as these are routinely used in salt water boat engine apps to keep brine out of the block.