PDA

View Full Version : Coolant renewal vs. replacement ? ? ?

CleviteKid
12-30-2003, 06:16
In the post on "OEM Block Heater Falure" in the "Ask Dr. Lee" section
you stated...

Originally posted by CleviteKid:
Could be related to stress corrosion cracking. So this is one more reason to use DISTILLED water with the coolant, and to change it frequently. I use DEXCOOL with great success in my 1984 truck, but do NOT try to get 5 years or 150,000 miles. I change 1/2 of it every year, always using distilled water.

Dr. Lee
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dr. Lee,

When you say change the Dex cool each year. My 1999 K2500 Suburban has about 8 gallons of coolant (~28 quarts with the rear heater). Since changing the fluid is such a PITA, does it make since to change about 1/3 each year? I'm thinking draining the radiator, which is about 3 gallons by my calculations and refilling with new Dex 50/50. Will this mean I never have to go through the multiple all day flushing and refilling routine like I did this weekend? What a mess and time consuming process. Draining the radiator once a year is enough for me and I'd certainly do it each year if I never have to again flush the system all day!

Thanks as always for the info!
Art.

--------------------

1999 Suburban 6.5TD
1987 Buick Grand National 9.601@143, 21psi of boost
1987 Buick Grand National, 11.8@114, pump gas and alcohol
1969 Camaro SS/RS 396-350HP, stock restoration

Hi Art,

Yes, the new 50-50 DexCool blend is made with distilled water, and replacing one-third of it every year would give you excellent protection, in my opinion. If you still own the truck in 2014, you might want to treat it to the total drain, flush and refill, just to take up some of your time :D .

Have a Safe and Happy New Year,

Dr. Lee http://www.handykult.de/plaudersmilies.de/beerchug.gif

TurboDiverArt
12-30-2003, 07:39
By 2014 GM better have finally come out with a D-MAX Suburban to spend my money on... smile.gif

Thanks,
Art.