PDA

View Full Version : Transfer Case (NP241) Write Up

ees
11-25-2004, 16:23
If anyone is interested I took a bunch of pictures when I serviced my transfer case a few weeks ago. I also felt the sevice manual was too vauge in some areas so I kind of kept track of what I was doing and included it on the page.

http://sofadog.net/6.5TD/xfer_case.html

If there is something you don't see ask. I might have a picture of it. I was going a little wild with the picture taking.

Keith Richards
11-26-2004, 08:56
excellent diesel page material!Is this the same as the push button transfer case? I assume you have a lever actuated case.

ees
11-26-2004, 09:36
This is for the New Process 241 which was used in tons of V8 American trucks not just GM. Mine is lever operated. I don't know how different a push button unit would be. I imagine the basic parts would be the same, but it would need some sort of solenoid to do the shifting.

ttpost
11-26-2004, 15:01
Just a note, i rebuilt mine changed all bearings, needle bearings were a pita. they make two different front input bearings, which i found out the hard way, so make sure you double check all your parts against the old ones when you install them.

ees
11-27-2004, 05:34
Thanks for the input. I had considered doing the bearings, but they all looks so good I decided not to. With the miles this truck has I figured something else would probably go before the transfer case. Plus I am pretty much in over my head budget wise on this truck.

I see you are in Portland. That is were the crook I bought this truck from lives. I learned this weekend from the previous owner that the truck had been sold to the fella in Portland as a parts truck. He resold it without ever seeing it, lied about the condition, hid the fact that he was 3000 miles from the truck and turned a $2000 profit.

On a different note it is great to see someone keeping first generation Camaros. My first car was a '68, red with a white bumblebee stripe. It was the most reliable car I have ever owned, plus a lot of fun. I would still like another one some day, but that is a goal that is harder to reach every year.

Dihrdbowti
11-28-2004, 16:22
Hey Eric I found out the hard way my fork bushings were shot. I had just bought my Yukon with 75K miles in Flint Mi. and was driving it back to Reno Nv. when the xfer case went out. I was only an hour and a half into the trip when it went. The forks were already chewed up and had to be replaced. The broker I bought it from split the cost with me to get it fixed and it was a guy that he does a lot of business with so it was pretty resonable. The trnny shop said that it was common for these to run themselves out of oil and burn up the bushings. Mine had zero oil (atf) in the xfer case. Now I have it checked regularly.

ttpost
11-29-2004, 15:45
Im a die hard camaro fanatic bought my first one when i was 11, still have it 28 years later smile.gif Where is the guy at in portland maybe i could go visit him :rolleyes: sorry to hear about your problem

ees
11-29-2004, 16:11
I got my '68 when I was 19 years old. In this part of the country I might as well been driving a Ferrari for all the "Nice car mister"s that I got. I even drove it for an entire NH winter when back at home one year. Great car.

As far as our crook is concerned we are going to try legal action since the person who owned it before him is willing to help. I think things are looking up, but I will keep your offer in mind. ;)

Thanks