PDA

View Full Version : New oil filter study - flow vs filtration

george carousos
05-28-2004, 15:08
Good Day Dr Lee,

Just read a new to me study on filters. They used a bubble point tester to measure filter media pore size and then tested flow rates. It seems well done and just points out facts. You can review the test (also has a spread sheet with all results on it) at www.oilfilterstudy.com (http://www.oilfilterstudy.com)

Question is whats more important, flow or filtration. How much "flow" does a 6.2 or 6.5 NA actually need at given rpms. Not suprising, the smallest pores flowed the least. Alarming part was the huge difference in flow rates. Let us know what you think. Have a great Memorial Day weekend.

George

CleviteKid
05-29-2004, 08:07
Our trucks actually tell us if they are getting enuf flow, since the oil pressure is measured DOWNSTREAM of the filter. If there is not enuf flow, there will not be enuf system pressure. Since our dashboard gauges are notoriously inaccurate, I teed in a mechanical gauge to calibrate, and found that my dash gauge was actually reasonably close.

At hot idle, 10 psi indicates we are getting enuf flow. At 2500 rpm, anything over 35 psi is enuf. Extra pressure justs wastes power at the oil pump, and blows oil past the rear main seal.

Dr. Lee :cool:

george carousos
05-30-2004, 16:06
Thanks Dr. Lee,

Any thoughts or inputs about the oil filter study and the pore size in relation to what might be too big or too small on the filter media pore size??.

Thanks,
George

C.K. Piquup
06-03-2004, 04:43
I can`t imagine an oil filter on the market with inadequate flow.I`d just be concerned with filtration.I`ve never heard of an oil filter starving an engine,unless it was never changed.

CleviteKid
06-03-2004, 05:30
I agree with C.K. on his point.

Your oil pressure gauge will tell you if the flow is or becomes inadequate.

I was disappointed with the Donaldson filter performance in terms of filtration. Baldwin, particularly in the long B7 filter for the 2WD crowd, looks like a good bet. And you can get them from Kennedy Diesel.

Dr. Lee :cool: