PDA

View Full Version : Turbo boost sensor

wild billyb
05-31-2004, 09:46
In the middle of hurricain isabell my wife and went to ohio to retrive our truck because I looked for a while and I wanted a last year diesel suburban and the only one I could find was in ohio. It was a nice one so I bought the truck. well right off the bat I loved it, we got 18 mpg coming back to new york doing 95 with the ac on. After we got it home it started to have small problems, like the left side battery termanel fell off so I replaced both batteries then I replaced the rotors for drilled ones then the steering box then the tires, alternator and now the turbo boost sensor cod comes up and black smoke comes out of the tail pipe wich in turn drives my wife up a wall but it does not happen all of the time what is wrong?

tom.mcinerney
06-01-2004, 19:00
Wild B~B:

1.) This subject better dealt with on another forum here, "6.5L Turbo Diesel " ; suggest re-post query there.

2.) Have you checked for vacuum levels at the pump and wastegate solenoid? [ the solenoid fails rather frequently; the vac pump needs renewal after 100K Mi or so.]
I'd try reseating the wire harness connector at the boost sensor on the intake manifold, and the second similar one on firewall(if fitted). Only do this with ignition 'OFF'.

3.) The black smoke is typical of operation at low boost. This operating condition associated with very high exhaust gas temperatures, may promote head cracking.