PDA

View Full Version : converter help!!

Suburbanator
08-03-2003, 21:31
Well, since i posted originaly on the member forum, with absolutely no response, I'll try begging here.I killed my torque converter.Does anyone have any recommendations as far as names go(tci, hughes,bowtie,art carr)and what stall speed would be best?

Thanks for any response.
Troy :D

CleviteKid
08-06-2003, 18:20
Take a look at http://www.protorque.com/index2.htm

The PTC-B29XLS on the GM page at
http://www.protorque.com/shopping/shopdisplayproducts.asp?id=6&cat=700R4%2F4L60E
would be a good choice for you.

Dr. Lee :cool:

Suburbanator
08-07-2003, 01:31
Thanks for the input Doc.
However it would appear that i didn't kill the TC after all, 2 out of 3 bolts were loose :rolleyes: (didn't look loose)So i'll keep that thread in mind when i really need one.By the way, tightening everything back up has eliminated an annoying vibration that has been around for a while, now she purrs as smooth as can be.

Thanks to everyone,
Troy

CleviteKid
08-07-2003, 06:26
If your converter has three bolts instead of six, someone has replace the original along the line. But it could still be a diesel converter; GM has recently decided that converters with three bolts, and reinforced mounting pads on the TC are adequate for diesels. In 1986 everyone thought diesels needed six bolts.

britannic
08-07-2003, 09:42
I was supplied a 3 bolt diesel converter, which I promptly tried to change for a 6 bolt, but the supplier told me they use 3 bolt convertors on insanely powerful torque monsters running high 11's or better on the 1/4 mile and that the transmission will explode before those 3 bolts do.

Dieselboy
08-07-2003, 12:19
Raptors - 3 bolts
Art-Carr - 6 bolts
Conincidence? I think not. :D

G. Gearloose
08-08-2003, 05:35
A well prepared 3-bolter will have the boss welded completely around the perimiter, vs just 3 'tack' welds.

Suburbanator
08-09-2003, 10:47
Thanks for everyones input, ya'll had me worried for a sec about the three bolts.There are no tack welds any where on the mounting surface, everything is very beefy,appears there is some sort of reinforcement there.don't know if this helps but the converer is not the traditional black,but orange in color. :D

Thanks again,
Troy

britannic
08-09-2003, 11:57
I've yet to see a post reporting a bolt failure for a correctly installed 3 bolt type. Mainly it's the transmission itself or the TCC internals that break - unless the flexplate wasn't torqued correctly.

arveetek
08-15-2003, 13:50
I've been running a used gasser 3 bolt convertor behind my 6.2L since 1996, with over 100,000 miles put on it since then. I have no idea how many miles were on the tranny when I got it from the scrap yard. I haven't had to touch the tranny yet.

Casey

CleviteKid
08-16-2003, 18:29
A quick calculation indicates it would take over 6,000 ft-lb. of torque to shear three TC-to-flexplate bolts simultaneously. If only one was taking all the load, it would still take about 2,000 ft-lb. of torque to shear that one. In addition, the clamping load developed by tightening three bolts to 65 to 70 lb-ft. will add friction to transmit another 1,500 ft-lb. of torque between the flexplate and the TC.

Look at it another way: If six bolts on a 1 inch radius can transmit all the torque from the crankshaft to the flexplate, then one bolt on a 6 inch radius can transmit that SAME torque from the flexplate to the TC. The other two bolts are just there for symmetry ;) .

Of course, the bosses on the TC have to be stout enuf to keep the torque from wrinkling the TC front cover like the sidwalls on a drag slick . . . but current ones are.

britannic
08-16-2003, 21:49
Great to have our resident engineer calculate the facts and figures - thanks Doc!!!

i also read that a fully welded pad (lug) is required for the diesel, especially for 3 bolt T/Cs. There are some out there sporting mere tack welds (or so it seems).