PDA

View Full Version : Emission Control modifications

Spindrift
01-08-2004, 10:57
I have heard that those of us who have made the decision to modify (aka - remove) their cats are in the enviable position of being able to completely eliminate the EGR system. Can you confirm, and other than the risk posed by the feds and your state's DOT, are there any advantages associated with taking this extra step?

Thanks.

Turbine Doc
01-09-2004, 08:07
Doc,
My apologies for stepping on your forum 1st, since I have some 1st hand knowledge decided to weigh in.

Std discosure, Modification of Emissions equipment is violation of numerious Federal and Local statutes, TDP or any member of TDP does not condone modification of that equipment do so at your own peril.

That said, yes EGR system can be elimited for "off road use only" but you will need a reflash or non EGR PCM as the PCM will still be looking for removed inputs and throw codes.

You have a K2500 ?? most of those to my knowledge were non EGR maybe the LD 2500's are EGR equipped. HD 2500's F 8th VIN digit aren't, my K1500 L56 LD, S 8th digit most definatly is/was, being the law abiding citizen I am I haven't eliminated mine, but have figured an effective way to bypass it when I operate my 4x4 "offroad", I can swap EGR to non EGR in about 20 min. For a non EGR PCM since you are 98 theft deterrent compatable; a 99+ junkyard PCM is a good way to go, then you can get GM's HD fuel program also.

If interested in more get with MP for private message to discuss further.