PDA

View Full Version : Stainless VS Non-Stainless Exhaust

Doorman
01-26-2005, 06:08
First Post New Member
The first upgrade I want to do to my LLY is a 4" exhaust. The problem is to go for stainless or not. I can see the advantages of stainless over non in rusting out. But here is my story... My previous truck was a 98 Ford gasser with factory stainless exhaust, which is still in really good condition. A long time ago, Grade 12 Chemistry taught me about corrison, metal always wants to rust by way of electron transfer. So... if the stainless won't rust...something has to...and want is connected to the stainless that WILL rust. Exhaust Manifolds, Exhaust Hangers, (if it had a turbo) the TURBO.
Ehaust systems a cheap compared to replacing turbo and manifolds.
The manifolds on my Ford are in the need of being replaced because they are almost rotted away.
I've thought about using a sacrifical anode attached to the stainless to give oxidation somewhere else to form but not sure if that will be enough.
I have'nt seen this topic talked about in the forums before.

moondoggie
01-26-2005, 08:40
Good Day!

You might want to post your question on the Duramax 6600 forum. Dr. Lee knows all, but he doesn't own a truck like yours - his is a 1984 C10 with probably the nicest 6.2 ever built. If you post in the Duramax 6600 forum, there are a few thousand of us who will see your topic, & hopefully help. ;)

He may reply to this anyway, 'cause he's a nice guy, & may wish to address the SS & corrosion issues. Just don't feel too bad if he doesn't reply real quick - they keep him pretty busy. :D

Blessings!

Brian Johnson, # 5044

CleviteKid
01-26-2005, 14:16
Your Ford manifolds probably need replacing for some other reason than the stainless exhaust system.

For your Duramax, the Stainless Steel system is the way to go. In your part of Ontario is salt on the roads a way of life for six months out of the year? If so, then some sacrificial anodes may do some good, but you will strictly be experimenting. Your local boat supply store should be able to fix you up with some zinc anodes that you can bolt to the non-stainless parts you want to protect. Let us know in three or four years the results of your experiment !!

Dr. Lee :cool: