PDA

View Full Version : suspension mods to old red

84 C2B2
06-03-2004, 15:56
Dr. Lee,

I've read a few times in the past where you modified the heigth of your pickup. I've got a 2WD CC 84 that I would like to raise about two inches in the front but don't want to pay the 1400 dollars aftermarket kits cost. any advie or ideas that I could do to make it like yours.

Jerry

CleviteKid
06-04-2004, 12:27
I raised my 2WD C-10 by 5 inches in the front. Raising it only two inches could be harder.

But . . . you could look into putting spacer blocks on top of the coil springs. Blocks about 1.5" high would get you just over 2" of lift, due to the pivot points and angles. Your steering would not be too messed up with this mild lift. The tricky part is getting the springs out, blocks on, and springs back in. Study the shop manual, or get a real pro to help out.

I am not aware if such spacers exist - you may have to do like I did, and design and fabricate them yourself.

Dr. Lee :cool:

Uncle Wally
06-06-2004, 18:35
Why not just go to Afco and get some coil springs that are taller than stock yet same spring rate? Seems to me that would be the easiest. Or would that not work due to compressing the spring more than a stock one? My understanding is that given a fixed spring rate and a fixed weight, a taller spring would hold things taller and not change the ride much. Correct me if I am wrong.

Waldo

CleviteKid
06-07-2004, 05:41
You are correct about the springs, but matching spring rates while changing spring height requires some expertise. Our diesel trucks have high rate springs, and that rate must be maintained, or the new springs will compress more than you want.

Dr. Lee :cool: