PDA

View Full Version : Exhaust manifold testing

Craig M
01-27-2005, 07:56
Stray Cat is going to do some dyno testing on the 6.2 in various configurations. Engine will be out of vehicle. See the thread in the 6.2 section of the Forum. Plans to test the stock exhaust manifold and then a set of 6.2 equal length headers. Stray Cat is not planning on installing any piping downstream of the manifolds. Dr Lee has indicated that his dual 3" exhaust with equilizer helps performance. Will the dyno data from this set up be "correct" and any downstream enhansments equally additive to either option? Or is a full exhaust system on both options necessary to get "real world" data? Thoughts and comment are appreciated.

Stray Cat
02-24-2005, 11:36
Good question! The same thing has been floating around in my mind! I was going to wait for results and re-assess. If Dr. Lee has input, it will be appreciated! I plan to set the IP, based on EGT, for each mod. I plan to set for about 1100-1200 degrees at max load. Dr. Lee any pertinent thoughts?

CleviteKid
02-26-2005, 07:34
Hey Stray Cat:

I think it is terrific that you will collecting real data to answer some age-old questions. To be useful to people driving trucks, and not engine dynamometers, I would like to see some 3" pipes leading away from the manifolds. If you also include some mufflers, then you could check to see if a cross-over pipe in front of the mufflers makes any real difference (other than in the sound).

The testing will be a lot more pleasant if you add exhaust systems also.

I would leave the IP pump set at the same place you set it for the first test, so you are not changing too variables at once. 1200F would be a good target for a high power NA diesel.

Dr. Lee :cool:

Stray Cat
02-26-2005, 17:59
Doctor, Do you believe that having the exhaust open will affect the results? To connect the exhaust to the manifolds will require a bit of fabrication, a cross-over will require more fabrication, as the dyno exhaust is set up for standard rear discharge headers. Mufflers are impossible as there is not enough room between the dyno engine stand and existing exhaust piping going up and out through the roof.

CleviteKid
03-01-2005, 05:18
Stray Cat:

Your test will show the difference between cast-iron manifolds and steel tube headers, so it will be valuable. For those deciding what to do in real-world situations, they will need to guess how much the pipes and mufflers will reduce the difference between manifolds and headers.

I think you should spend your time testing engines, not fabricating piping systems!!

Dr. Lee :cool:

Stray Cat
03-04-2005, 10:41
The header test results are in! Look at "6.2TD engine experiment", under "6.2 forum", for results!