PDA

View Full Version : Head gaskets for turbo

Dezman125
01-09-2004, 23:01
I'v read about a thicker head gasket from Felpro,for the chev diesels.I have the heads off my 6.2 and have a banks turbo i'll be installing.
From what i'v read these motors could use reduced compressions when installing a turbo.
Are these gaskets a way of doing this?
And do i have to worry about it with the banks turbo.
This is a used system,do you know where i can get a installation book?
Thanks

dieseldummy
01-10-2004, 03:04
Hi, I have been searching for info about thicker head gaskets as well. I beleive the Felpro gaskets are .010 thicker to compensate for planing the head and deck of the block, which by the way make sure both surfaces are flat and haven't been to hot and warped. I beleive the most popular way to lower compresstion is to buy pistons with a reduced crown height, or a deeper dish, either of the two are very expensive.($100+ a piston) There are alternitive ways to effectively lower compression like mill standard pistons, offset wrist pin bushings and things like that, but if you only have your heads off that wont do you much good. I beleive that if you are very careful you can remove some material from around the valves to lower your compression some. When installing your banks kit make sure so instal the boost and especially pyrometer gauges. Without them you can run into problems, but if you use them and watch them carefully you should have no problems with your motor. Keep the pyro at or below 1150 degrees F pre turbo or 950 post turbo. Also if you keep boost at or below 10 psi, you shouldn't have as much of a problem with high compression pressures. As for a manual, you should be able to contact banks and obtain one. Others may be able to beter inform you, but i hope that this helps.
Justin

Dezman125
01-10-2004, 09:38
Thanks Justin
One Quick Qustion. Did you build your own intercooler? That is onther project i would like to add.

dieseldummy
01-10-2004, 10:48
I used a cooler off of a tractor and cut it down, here is a link to a post on the topic.http://forum.thedieselpage.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=005357