PDA

View Full Version : Acetone for Increased MPG??

george carousos
06-06-2004, 12:21
Dr Lee,

Read an article explaining how to add acetone to your fuel (gasoline or diesel) to increase mileage. Author states that the acetone helps break up the surface tension of the fuel and it atomises better, hence a more complete burn, lower emissions and better MPG. Starting dosage was 2 ounces per 10 gallons on average. (you can increase or decrease depending on results) I've looked at some fuel additives and they do list acetone as a ingredient. Can you see any damage to fuel pumps, injector pumps, filters, etc by using this small amount of acetone? Our California gas and diesel must be some of the worse in the country. The article claimed approx 10% better mileage. Obviously you can get acetone anywhere so this guy ain't getting rich out of this scheme. The website with multiple articles on increasing mpg was www.lubedev.com (http://www.lubedev.com)

Any thoughts on this?? Thanks in advance.

George Carousos

CleviteKid
06-06-2004, 15:03
I read the whole article, painful as it was. This is full of psuedo-science, silly science and non science ( or nonsense ).

The small amounts of acetone he suggests may not hurt anything, but won't help anything, either. Acetone is also an emulsifier, and GM does not like emulsifiers bringing water thru filters and into pumps and injectors. If your fuel is perfectly dry, then this is not a concern ;) .

Since Octane and Cetane behavior are the inverse of each other, an additive that is good for spark ignition is usually bad for compression ignition, and vice versa. No such thing as a universal additive.

The author's economic and political na

george carousos
06-06-2004, 16:15
Thanks for clearing up the questions Dr Lee.

It seemed just too easy to be true.

Cheers,
George

tom.mcinerney
06-06-2004, 17:56
It took me a while to mouth/write the acronym 'SUV'.
I immediately like the ring/meaning of PUV, however. Henceforth, it'll be PUV for me, as in ProfitableUselessVehicle(s)!
Thanks, Dr. Lee.

moondoggie
06-07-2004, 08:37
Good Day!

Dr. Lee:

CleviteKid
06-07-2004, 09:25
Hey Brian,

Our comments are directed, as stated, at Navistars and Escalades, not useful vehicles like Suburbans and Yukons. PUVs, almost by definition, will be gasoline guzzlers ( 6 MPG ? ?) and not powered by efficient diesel engines.

I am tempted to include the H2 in the list - all those I have seen around Miami have big chrome plated wheels, and are much too clean to have ever been off-highway.

Dr. Lee :rolleyes:

edited by the author to correct a typo :mad: .

[ 06-07-2004, 12:14 PM: Message edited by: CleviteKid ]

slagona
06-07-2004, 10:26
But, more H2's with big Chrome Wheels means more take-off H2 wheels available to us 8 lug GM diesel types. So, there is some use to those PUV's.....

They are now readily available at $150 a set of 4 - if your patient, $100 a set is possible. Can't beat that deal!

moondoggie
06-07-2004, 12:36
Good Day!

Oops - I got it wrong again. :rolleyes: I guess no one will be surprised.

I guess I'm hypersensitive. I sense that we're on the verge of outright outlawing of the vehicles I enjoy. Remember, I'm from MN, the land of HHH; "If it isn't illegal, it's probably mandatory."

Not to defend Escalades, but we drove the one gas Sub I owned to Rockport TX & back & got 15.1 mpg one way & 14.1 mpg the other. Don't get me wrong, I only kept that thing about 6 months & thankfully now own a diesel Sub again, but maybe they're not completely horrible on fuel, I don't know.

Blessings!

Brian Johnson, #5044

grape
06-07-2004, 14:38
acetone is what we use to cheat up fuel in race car stuff. Seems it allows methanol based fuels to mix with gasoline........comes in handy.

george carousos
06-07-2004, 18:05
Grape,
Besides allowing it to mix the fuels, did the acetone do anything to help/improve performance.
What ratios of acetone did you use to get it to work with your fuels. (approximates will do)

Thanks,
George