PDA

View Full Version : air cleaner air flow

James68352
01-30-2005, 06:21
Dr. Lee,
I like your setup for the air filter assembly and plan on doing some mods to mine. I had a idea cross my mind though that I would like some input on. Everyone says that good open air flow is a great power mod for the diesel engine and your air filter mod is evidence. I was wondering why not use one of the old air cleaners that we used to use on hot rods. The ones with just a bottom and a top, the air filter is fully exposed all the way around. Is there a specific reason that this would not be good for a diesel?

Jim

James68352
01-30-2005, 06:27
Also, I would like to ask about your exhaust adaptors. Can I use those on the stock 1982 6.2 exhaust manifolds? I already have a dual exhaust but it is only 2 1/4 inch and in need of being replaced. I want to put in a 3" from the exhaust manifolds all the way back. Also where would I put in the crossover tube? Is there a premium place to put it or just whereever there is room?

Thanks for the info.

Jim

CleviteKid
01-30-2005, 18:16
Hi James,

I will be tooling through Southeastern Nebraska on my way to the Salt Lake City Rendezvous in September. The reason you don't see the type of air cleaner you describe is for one reason: HEAT. The radiator makes it nice and toasty under the hood, and hot air is a lot less dense than cold air. If you wanted to run your truck without a hood and front fenders, the old hot rod filter set up would be fine. But with our diesels, it is better to pull cooler, denser air from in front of the radiator to pack the greatest mass of air possible into the cylinders.

My exhaust adapters bolt up to 2.5" pipes. I then used tapered adapters right there to bring the exhaust up to a full 3 inches. I put my balance pipe just behind the front U-joint on my 2WD driveshaft. It really was the place that offered the most room, and was in front of the mufflers !!
The adapters will fit your '82 truck manifolds. If you need a drawing, send me an email at:

leeswanger "at" yahoo "dot" com.

Dr. Lee :cool:

James68352
01-31-2005, 19:18
Dr. Lee,

Thank you very much for the info. That makes a lot of sense and I reckon I should have figured that out seeing as I drive a diesel dump truck for work every day and it has a hose that goes to a snorkel in front of the radiator. Yes I will need the drawings for the adaptors and "you have mail" as soon as I get out of here to yahoo.

Jim C.

Maybe on your swing through SE Nebr. if all is good we could have lunch.