PDA

View Full Version : Looking for Ideas

convert2diesel
06-24-2004, 14:26
Okay guys, here is a chance to do some shade tree engineering (sorry Lee, some of us just don't have the letters behind our name).

This is the challange. For the past two years we have been designing a 6.2/6.5 conversion for the early 90s "B" body GM cars, and courtesy of Jamie at Diesel Depot we will be recieving the prototype engine shortly to test out our theories. From a physical standpoint all the mechanicals would seem to fit well but at the cost of real estate. Our question is how to fit in a big enough air intake system to duplicate the famous Swanger Air.

We have three options, that being the Hummer intake (Lower profile then standard but still with the round air box), the standard intake with a heavily modified gasser air box or the 6.5 with the turbo pipe cut off and the plenum enlarged for higher air flows. Like Lee we are believers in the NA version of these engines (at least for now) but a Swanger Air would mean having to install a power bulge in the hood. To some it may seem cool for a Buick Roadmonster to sport a cowl induction hood but for this freedom 55er it seems a little over the top.

Any suggestions or input on design would be greatly appreciated.

Bill

Dieselboy
06-24-2004, 17:16
I think that you've got the right plan with the Hummer intake. Single plane is the way to go, but keep in mind that the mounting studs for the air cleaner are 90* off from what a truck manifold is. Ideally, try to get the upper intake elbow from a Hummer as well. It sets up the ducting to be fed from the passenger side, and has a HUGE 5" inlet and will work well with any cone filter large enough.

Sound like a nice project you've got going.

CleviteKid
06-25-2004, 05:02
I support David's idea of putting a big filter where it fits, then routing the clean air thru a big hose (4" is enough, 5" is better) to the low-profile intake manifold.

Your local junior college or trade school with a welding program may be able to make some prototype elbows and adapters for you at a nominal charge, and the students may enjoy working on a project that is a real-world application.

Dr. Lee :cool:

Dieselboy
06-28-2004, 20:49
Here, this picture is from the War in the Desert article, and it should give you an idea of how the Hummer orients the filter and intake tubing. It looks like about a 4" intake.
http://www.thedieselpage.com/features/iraq06.jpg

convert2diesel
06-29-2004, 18:34
Dieselboy and Lee:

Thanks for the info and the pics. It would seem the Hummer intake is considerably lower then stock and it would allow me to use the air box from the 305 gasser. That would give me a filter area of 48 sq. in (12 x 4) and by modifying the front housing, could incorporate two 2.5 in intake hoses. If the filter swept area is insufficient then I could easily adapt a couple of cone type filters to the ends and loose the rectangle filter.

Since the prototype is restricted to single exhaust (once again a real estate problem), this engine will need all the help it can get. Once again thanks for the help.

Will keep you posted on the developments.

Bill

Ratau
07-07-2004, 22:29
The Hummer air cleaner housing looks like the Donaldson