PDA

View Full Version : DX Block?

Camarrow
01-19-2004, 05:57
I have been looking at buying a 82-87 6.2 truck. I was dicussing this with a old mechanic Diesel/Auto Mechanic yesterday and he said to look for the DX block. He said these letters are down by the freeze plugs. The DX means a stronger bottomend. The couldn't find any thing in my site searches. The only DX block I know of is the 69 Z-28 camaro block. Would this just happen to also be the 599 block. Where are these 599 #s anyway?

CleviteKid
01-19-2004, 06:06
The 6.2L and 6.5L engines are diesel only, designed from the ground up by Detroit Diesel for Chevrolet. They share nothing in common with any Z-28, except made by Chevy.

If you look in the valley under the intake manifold, there is a string of numbers cast into the block, and the last three digits of a -599 block are, you guessed it, 599.

Never heard about the DX block, but your mechanic may know something that I don't.

Dr. Lee :cool:

dieseldummy
01-19-2004, 07:04
Your mechanic may be refering to the 5.7 Olds blocks. I know that they were improved in strength and were so dubbed the DX.
Justin

Camarrow
01-19-2004, 07:53
Thanks for the quick answers. I did know that the 6.2 was a detroit block and shared nothing with a gas SBC. I just know the 302 DX is what many call the 302 z-28 camaro block. Just don't want you to think me to green. So I am guessing from your location of the numbers you can see them with the engine assembled?

CleviteKid
01-19-2004, 16:31
I don't know if you can see the numbers on the engine, I have never tried, maybe someone else has.

If I had to look, I would take off the aircleaner (NA) or the turbo intake adapter (Turbo) and with a strong flashlight and a small dental mirror, see what I could see down in between the intake runners.

If you have a set of intake gaskets, pulling the intake manifold is not that big a deal - just pay very close attention to how the fuel injection lines are attached, and put them back exactly the same way. You don't have to loosen or move the fuel injection lines, just the clips that hold them to the intake manifold.

Dr. Lee :cool:

Bob Q
01-19-2004, 21:51
Justin is right. The mechanic must be thinking about the 350 Diesel. The early versions were "D" blocks while the later improved versions were "DX" blocks.

Craig M
01-22-2004, 17:48
I agree with Justin. The improved 5.7 diesel block is called the DX. These engines were in the GM vehicles from 78 to 84 or so. Most everyone calls these engines the DX engines. The 5.7 has little to do with the 6.2 diesel engine. I think your mechanic is on the wrong GM diesel.

cruzer
01-23-2004, 12:47
IIRC there are also casting #'s behind the driverside head where the trans bolts to the block. At least i think i saw them there on my 6.5. Maybe I'm dreaming. I don't know.

I also thought all 6.2's and 92-93 6.5's were 599 blocks.

[ 01-23-2004, 12:09 PM: Message edited by: cruzer ]