PDA

View Full Version : Life in a vaccuum

rameye
03-22-2005, 13:44
I'm a stock 6.5...been doing some snooping around to how well my turbo is working. Todays' dtective work involved checking how much vaccuum my pump puts out (sucks in I guess). I first verify that all lines are OK and hold vaccuum with a hand operated pump.

Mext I checked vaccuum at the pump outlet/inlet and I get 1-2 inches..if I raise the idle to 2200rpm I get 10 inches.

Bad pump? if so how bad to replace? any tips or suggestions for R&R ?

Thanks

More Power
03-22-2005, 13:54
GM's minimum acceptable vacuum at the pump is 15". So, yes, barring a leak of some kind, your pump is bad.

The disk shaped pod itself is replaceable, but a complete pump assy might be recommended because the eccentric shaft and bearings don't last forever.

www.usdieselparts.com (http://www.usdieselparts.com) can sell you a new or remanufactured pump, as can your dealer.

MP

DChristie
03-22-2005, 18:42
I replaced mine about a year ago, it isn't too difficult. Total time invloved from leaving the house to get a new pump to cracking the first beer :D after it was all put together and tools stowed and hands washed was about four hours. I'd never done it before, and I was suprised to learn that is the estimated time in the local garages billing book, and they have all the tools and somebody who allegedly knows how.

Give it a try, it isn't that tough, they let me do it...

Donald T.

rameye
03-23-2005, 15:43
did you have to remove the A/C compressor or can you sneak it off the mount without disturbing anything?

DChristie
03-23-2005, 16:09
IIRC the A/C has to come off, because it shares a bracket that pins the Vac pump in place, or something like that.

DChristie
03-23-2005, 16:16
:rolleyes: I forgot to mention, if you check around, you'll find lot's of guys here drop the vac pump altogether.
I think I paid about $120.00 :eek: for a pump and I think the Boost-master is available for $60.00ish.

You may want to chek into that also.

Don