PDA

View Full Version : Is Big Brother Watching ? ? ?

CleviteKid
06-29-2004, 14:22
Dear Dr. Lee,

Yesterday in a conversation I was told that the computers on these late model GM trucks and cars record all specifics of the truck's operation including how fast it is driven and the date, so if you may have gone 95MPH on the 19th of June, it could tell a technician.

Is this true? Big Brother is watching? Can they tell you were driving fast before you wrecked? How hard you stomped on the brake?

Jimmy__

Hey Jimmy,

Indeed that is true. GM justifies it on the basis of "safety research" to learn the parameters of collisions and crashes, but the data can also be used to defend lawsuits where a driver alleges a defect, when they were actually going too fast, too furiously. I have one of the readers for decoding the data in my engineering office.

The cops are NOT using it to issue tickets. They would need a search warrant to query your computer, and your lawyer could quash it as self-incrimination.

Be Careful Out There, Dr. Lee :cool:

rjwest
06-29-2004, 14:46
If you do a " clear codes" will it reset the data?
remove power , will it clear data, ?

Or Do I need to take it out and beat the C**P
out of it.... Or give them my spare....

Dieselboy
06-29-2004, 16:39
Just pass a large magnet over the ECM every now and then. That'll wipe her clean. :rolleyes:

Bobbie Martin
06-29-2004, 17:29
From what I have read, the GM "black box" only monitors the last 5 seconds or so. However, I have read that some of the newest cars do record certain data, such as over revving the engine, excessive speed, etc. So the dealer may know more than you think when you go in for service. We had a new MINI for awhile and just with the key the dealer could tell the current mileage, service history, etc. No telling what else they knew!

convert2diesel
06-29-2004, 18:48
Had a friend with one of the new Cadillacs discover the hard way that his "ONSTAR" system is active regardless of owner activation.

He had problems with his car in Alabama (2,000 miles away and in a different country) and in the time it took him to walk across the parking lot, the dealer not only knew his name, but what was wrong with his car and had already printed up a work order for him.

The kicker was he had never activated his ONSTAR account and had even asked his home dealer to remove it from his car (work that never got done). The scary thing was that when he arrived home a couple months later, ONSTAR had billed him for this incident.

And they say Big Brother isn't alive and well.

Bill

"Canadian underground conspiracy department"

moondoggie
06-30-2004, 08:38
Good Day!

Remember, you aren't paranoid if they really are out to get you. ;) It gets more difficult each year to believe they aren't.

Blessings!

Brian Johnson, #5044

Quack_Addict
06-30-2004, 08:59
I have been curious about Onstar - IF they KNOW when an air bag activates (whether or not the service is activated, I'm sure), couldn't negligence (or other) be called into question if they DIDN'T notify authorities in the event of an accident they are aware of?

PCM's do record many various parameters relating to vehicle operation. I'm not sure how long the data is stored or how to clear it. I have heard it through the grape vine that GM chooses not to get involved with the litigation involved with the recorded data... they would have to PROVE everything was calibrated properly in order to show the data collected actually means what it says. Depending on the way the data is stored, you may have to replace the PCM to clear the memory.

rjwest
06-30-2004, 13:52
OK, so if i have an incident that I suspect I may be
litigated against, Remove PCM.
Do not surrender it under self incremenation rules.
Or just claim it must have been theft...

northofthe52nd
07-07-2004, 10:31
Just where is the PCM located on an '02 2500 CC?

DmaxMaverick
07-12-2004, 14:20
northofthe52nd

The PCM is on the driver's side, below and inboard of the battery.

The TCM is on the driver's side, mounted to the top/rear of the radiator.