PDA

View Full Version : C or J heads

tmorland
01-19-2004, 15:47
Oh wise ones-
I'm looking at a used 6.2 engine with an ATS turbo. It was all rebuilt recently w/ low miles (wreck)and it has "C" heads on it. Am I crazy to install it that way or should it have "J" heads before it goes in the truck? Heads were reworked by Keystone- anybody know anything about them?
This is going in an '85 K30 4 x 4 SRW
Tim

CleviteKid
01-19-2004, 16:39
It should be fine the way it is. Back in the BT years (Before Turbos), GM messed around with slightly different valve sizes in the C and J heads. But add a turbo, and the engine doesn't really care. And since I have not had a chance to say it recently:

"From a thermodynamic perspective, ALL diesel engines should be turbocharged. And anyone using a GM 6.2L or 6.5L engine for heavy hauling or towing should have a good turbocharger setup on his/her truck."

But - - - if you just wanna drive around in a little red Hot Rod that never works for a living, and you tweak the engine and the tranny and change gears, and play with the suspension, and can stand the guff from everyone else, then you don't need no steeeeeeeeenkin' turbo !

Dr. Lee :cool:

Peter J. Bierman
01-20-2004, 14:28
Well doc you just described my trucks life, but I have to disagree with you a little. ;)
If you do that much fiddling on a truck, you just might put on two turbos in the proces.
Just too see if it works :D

Peter

CleviteKid
01-20-2004, 20:55
And the Germans say the Dutch are boring, and don't have a sense of humor :D .

Peter proves them wrong.

The Clevite Kid :cool: