PDA

View Full Version : 6.2 to 6.5 engine swap

iflilo
06-30-2004, 08:05
What do you do about the differences in the egr and epr systems between the 6.2 and 6.5/
I am swapping a 1993 6.2 to a 6.5 long block using all intake and pump from my 6.2 What about glow plugs? Will they need to be changed to a different mod? Will the 6.2 pump work for the 6.5?
I forgot to mention that a 6.5 non turbo is what I'm trying to achieve.

Quack_Addict
07-01-2004, 08:32
I installed a NA 6.5L into my 1987 3/4 ton Suburban a couple years ago. It was a straight forward swap - used the exhaust manifolds, intake, lift pump, injection pump, etc. that came on the slightly used 6.5 I bought. The truck was a non-egr to start with and the 6.5 didn't have any egr related stuff on it either so it went right in.

I think the 6.2 injeciton pump will work on the 6.5 without modification / tweaks but there are different pumps out (still learning about them myself). The glow plugs I run are 60G's. Do yourself a favor and put a new lift pump on BEFORE putting the engine in - mine failed 6 months after the engine swap, 150 miles away from home - and it's not easy to get at.

CleviteKid
07-01-2004, 09:40
Hello Iflilo:

It took me about 10 seconds to figure out your screen name - clever !

You can put all your 6.2L accessories on your 6.5L long block, but the fuel injection lines from the pump to the injectors may need to be gently bent to a new shape to line up properly at the injectors in the 6.5L heads. Be careful not to kink a line. Don't think you can just hold them in place, start the nuts, and pull them into alignment. The nuts will try to cross thread and you will have a mess. Get them tweaked so the ends sit right on the injectors, in a straight line with the injector axis.

If you use the 6.2L exhaust manifolds, the EPR will remain the same. However, if you use the EPR and the EGR, then you need to keep the solenoid vacuum valves and piping to operate them. If your political and environmental views allow it, why not lose the EPR and EGR? Your engine will appreciate it.

These engines all take the same glow plugs, but with the engine out is the easiest time to change them, so why not treat the new engine to a new set of plugs? (other than money, that can be a good reason to wait)

The 6.2 pump will work fine, particularly with the 6.2L injectors. When you want to fly low even faster you can upgrade to a 6.5L pump and 6.5L injectors.

A lot of Louisiana is almost as flat as Florida, and if you are not going to be towing over 2000 pounds, you can make a real flyer out of the 6.5L NA engine. Check out THE RIGHT STUFF (http://www.thedieselpage.com/reviews/avanteng.htm) for more info on performance NA engines. But remember, even I acknowledge that from a thermodynamic perspective, ALL diesel engines should be turbocharged, and particularly if they are heavy haulers, or towing big loads.

Dr. Lee :cool: