PDA

View Full Version : Block casting numbers

dieseldummy
01-22-2004, 17:56
Dr Lee,
I helped a friend remove his motor out of his 96 GMC pickup. I know that you specialize in older models, but was wondering if you knew anything about a casting number of 141. These were the last 3 numbers of the long number on the back drivers side near the middle of the block. I posted this in the 6.5 forum and have got no replies, so i thought that I would try asking here.
Thanks,
Justin

CleviteKid
01-26-2004, 07:53
Sorry, no info. But this time frame (1996) is before the piston cooling oil squirts were added in the block web, so if the webs are not cracked now, this is a good candidate for a build-up.

Dr. Lee

:cool:

dieseldummy
01-26-2004, 10:18
Dr. Lee,
I beleive that from excessive piston slap in the number 8 cylinder that the block may not be salvagable. I have read articles about the project pickup and yours having the 599 block. They both seem to have been very reliable motors. Would there be any advantage to using the oil spray 506 block over the 599 block. I have looked over old posts on the matter and have no difinitive answer. Any advice would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Justin

CleviteKid
01-27-2004, 09:16
The potential DISADVANTAGE to using an oil-spray block is that material is drilled out of the webs right where cracking occurs, if it does occur.

Dr. Lee :(

dieseldummy
01-28-2004, 06:39
Thanks for the info Dr. Lee. I think that we'll try to keep the block that we have or get a 599 block. I was pushing for a conversion to a 671 Detroit, but it was argued that it might not fit. :D
Thanks,
Justin

C.K. Piquup
02-21-2004, 11:57
Do the latest,most improved,higher-nickle,beefier main web(GEP)blocks still use oil-spray?