PDA

View Full Version : Bypass oil filtration/relocated filter

Uncle Wally
01-28-2004, 05:39
Dr. Lee,

In researching this bypass oil filtration system, I have found that I like the dual element kit the best. The only thing that I don't like is that the adapter they give you in the kit screws on to where the filter used to be located. I was hoping to get rid of the leak prone 90 degree contraption that GM used to get the filter to clear the driveshaft (placing it horizontal versus verticle). You wouldn't know of anyone that makes something of that nature, would you? I was thinking that an adapter to remote mount a filter for a small block gasser might work, but I wasn't sure and would figure I would ask.

Waldo

MTTwister
01-28-2004, 09:20
What are the chances that if you removed the 90

rjwest
01-28-2004, 13:13
I was going to remove my 4x4 adapter, but after considering that if I ever had a problem with remote filters, I would not be able to reinstall the original.

I carry a spare GM filter aand 8 qts of oil.

Also the first Aaadapter I got had Fittings that were to small , lost 5 psi oil pressure.

Perma cool has a GM adapter with 1/2 npt threads,
( fits all kit does not ).

I used 90Deg elbows ( 1/2 npt male/female ) and

rounded off the Square edges on a grinder, so I could get then to clear when installing, also have short extender for one elbow,

each elbow has a 1/2 inch to hose barb extending down, Used Special NAPA Hose Clamps ( have a spring tension built in )

works out with good cleareance from exhaust.

Takes a little planning to get elbows in correct orientation but easier than trying to get wrentchs up in if hose comes straight out ( forward )
Also down direction made it easier to get hose routed,,,,

Also bought some high temp sleeve to cover
oil lines ( good aero quip hoses )

Love changing oil, no mess and filters can be pre charged, use 2 large napa , get 2 qts extra oil.

Only mistake I made ( so far ) is I did not get the : Heavy duty " Perma Cool " filter adapter "
that uses 13/16 thread filters and not the 3/4
that I used( Have to Use FL1a Equivelent )
Large size are a little expensive....

Also added oil pressure switch to the "plugged "
port on filter adapter, to light " RED " Light
on Dash. In front of driver......

tom.mcinerney
02-03-2004, 15:07
you might check out Canton Racing Products of N Branford, Connecticut. They make a very sturdy adapter if you want to mount to the block filter pad. The tapped holes for oil lines radiate out horizontal, so no need 90* fitts. I did have to file off 10-30 mils aluminum stock from perimeter where it interfered with portion of block at edge of pad [30 minute delay]. http://www.cantonracingproducts.com/adapters/remote_filter.html
If like, i can email a photo of adapter on block...
I bought their hose and 'AN' adapters as well.

Uncle Wally
02-03-2004, 16:05
tom mac,

That would be cool. Email is bbarcranch dot LL dot net

ANXIOUS-SUBMAN
02-16-2004, 19:17
tom mac,
I'm getting ready to replace my oil lines and also installing the amsoil bypass system on my K2500 4x4. I would also appreciate a pic of your installation using the Canton adaptor.
mikpsc at fuse dot net